Timex 21 Jewel - Introduction Letter 1962

Well, it certainly looks like what I expected to see.  But what about numbers? What kind of accuracy did all those jewels give it?  I can't see Timex jumping on the jewel bearing bandwagon unless there were gains (and thus future sales) to be had.

3 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Very droll. Hehe.

Haha. You dont like my toilet humor then ? Lol.  I think its a good idea, so beginners know what to look out for and to avoid when buying. Since starting here I'm now careful that seiko and Timex can be more problematic than most and can have complicated and unsually difficult designs to work with. Have you a good story ? 

52 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Haha. You dont like my toilet humor then ? Lol.  I think its a good idea, so beginners know what to look out for and to avoid when buying. Since starting here I'm now careful that seiko and Timex can be more problematic than most and can have complicated and unsually difficult designs to work with. Have you a good story ? 

Had a few Timex ladies watches, nor working and unfixable cheap and nasty movements.  In the scrap bin. I try to avoid now.

6 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Had a few Timex ladies watches, nor working and unfixable cheap and nasty movements. 

I've had pretty limited success with those too. They may not be *THE* worst movements, but they are certainly in the running for the title. Even they are fixable if you have a slightly masochistic streak, and maybe a donor movement.

Modern quartz movements are worse in the sense that pretty much everything is plastic, often glued together and you have zero chance of getting spare parts. Add to that the fact that you have a fifty fifty chance of a leaky battery having dissolved some vital part, and I would say they are probably worse.  

EDIT: Swatch... need I say more?

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

I was going to tell a suppository joke, but I figured the moderators would never pass it. 

Oh just go for it Andy, i seem to get away with alsorts of things. Its all down to your delivery. Lol

12 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

I've had pretty limited success with those too. They may not be *THE* worst movements, but they are certainly in the running for the title. Even they are fixable if you have a slightly masochistic streak, and maybe a donor movement.

Modern quartz movements are worse in the sense that pretty much everything is plastic, often glued together and you have zero chance of getting spare parts. Add to that the fact that you have a fifty fifty chance of a leaky battery having dissolved some vital part, and I would say they are probably worse.  

EDIT: Swatch... need I say more?

Oh Andy i think youve just sealed the fate of me buying one of their moonwatches. They are so pretty as well. Not that i would have ever opened the back, but having cheap tat on my wrist would bring out the sadist in me and my 2 lb lump hammer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Oh just go for it Andy, i seem to get away with alsorts of things. Its all down to your delivery. Lol

Two old gents are sitting down to breakfast in the local cafe one morning.
Bob looks over at his pal and sees something strange sticking out of his ear.
"Hey Jim, did you know you have a suppository sticking out of your lug" he asks.
Jim reaches up and removes the offending item.
"Bob, I'm sure glad you spotted that, now I think I know where I must have put my hearing aid."

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Two old gents are sitting down to breakfast in the local cafe one morning.
Bob looks over at his pal and sees something strange sticking out of his ear.
"Hey Jim, did you know you have a suppository sticking out of your lug" he asks.
Jim reaches up and removes the offending item.
"Bob, I'm sure glad you spotted that, now I think I know where I must have put my hearing aid."

32 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

I was going to tell a suppository joke, but I figured the moderators would never pass it. 

I like the bear one thats going around. Theres a guy on you tube that cant get through the joke for laughing. Its a stupid joke but to watch him tell it is hilarious.

2 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Maybe we should start a worst movements ever post.

I still think for "worst ever", some of those cheap Chinese movements that turn up in "replica" watches have Timex beat every day of the week.  Gad I hate seeing those.  The pivots break off if you just look at them wrong.  Some are worse than others, but man they're awful as a whole.  I'd rather work on a Timex.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Oh Andy i think youve just sealed the fate of me buying one of their moonwatches. They are so pretty as well. Not that i would have ever opened the back, but having cheap tat on my wrist would bring out the sadist in me and my 2 lb lump hammer.

I think the problem I have with Swatch is the fact that they are designed to be disposable. The Timex 21 was at least designed that it *could* be serviced, but the Swatch designs are such that in almost all cases it is almost impossible to even open the watch without damaging it. You *can* fix them (and I have fixed a couple of Swatch Ironys) but the "designed to be disposable" nature just annoys me. I would rather wear something that doesn't have a factory fitted,  pre-paid ticket to the land fill.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I still think for "worst ever", some of those cheap Chinese movements that turn up in "replica" watches have Timex beat every day of the week.  Gad I hate seeing those.  The pivots break off if you just look at them wrong.  Some are worse than others, but man they're awful as a whole.  I'd rather work on a Timex.

Yeah the teeny tiny chinese quartz movements surrounded by a 48mm case and with hands the size of a 6 ft 4in lumberjack. The day it stops it sees the back of a wheely bin.

3 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

I think the problem I have with Swatch is the fact that they are designed to be disposable. The Timex 21 was at least designed that it *could* be serviced, but the Swatch designs are such that in almost all cases it is almost impossible to even open the watch without damaging it. You *can* fix them (and I have fixed a couple of Swatch Ironys) but the "designed to be disposable" nature just annoys me. I would rather wear something that doesn't have a factory fitted,  pre-paid ticket to the land fill.

Aw swatch's moonwatch. Pretty to look at but cheap tacky and money grabbing on the inside. I went through a few of those before i met my missus. 😄

52 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

And also fashion watches. You see men and women looking at them in jewellery shops. You know the ones Armani, Gabo kors and such. I cant help but stand next to them while my wife is looking at braclet charms and say out loud, "hmm i wonder why some people dont buy real watches anymore" . She ends up pulling me away and telling me to behave myself. Do I ?  Nah why change the habit of a lifetime. 

• Like 1