vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre

MF60

No real questions at this time, this is a watch that was owned by my father, who died in January 2019.  Dad purchased it in 1946 when he was stationed in Germany in the US Army, in the Occupation his main area of operation was with the 332nd EGSR in Wiesbaden but sometimes he was assigned to Nuremburg and Damstadt. 

It is a Jaeger-LeCoultre and the serial number indicates it was manufactured on or after Jan 1, 1945 and prior to Jan 1, 1946.  Dad said he got it for a good price but I don't know how much.  I'm carefully reading his diary to see if he mentioned this bit of information.

I took it to an authorized dealer and the wath guy there (not a repair guy but more of a jewelry consultant) took off the back and a minute or so later while looking through an eyepiece discovers some tiny piece of dirt or something and viola, the watch was ticking again.  Dad had not worn the watch in perhaps 3 decades and put it in his safe.

They are going to give me an estimate to clean and lubricate, and possible replace the hands to opriginal.  I remember when Dad had it service in the late 1960's or early 1970's the crystal was broken and hands messed up.  The originals we shaped mor like diamonds, as I recall.  The jeweler said when their factory trained technician examines it, JLC may say it must be repaired at the factory but they will give me a quote.

Has anyone an idea on a model for this watch?  I do not think the band is original but I'm going by memory.

The watch is at least 10 years older than me.

Mark

PS - this will be my top watch when I get it all sorted out!

IMG_3078.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

• Like 1