I've no intent to purchase this, mind.  I was just poking about in Facebook's marketplace and happened upon it.  And I had this feeling that something didn't look right.  Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.  I'm including an image and a link to the advertisement.  I'm hoping for a teaching moment here, where we all benefit, since in our profession our clients trust us to know the real from the false.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1043379103258734/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

fakerolex.jpg

10 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

For me it’s a genuin Rolex with a rare enamel dial

Thank you much for finding that!  I had been searching for much of the morning over here.  I was not aware that Rolex had ever made dials like that.  Everything else about it seemed all right, but I had not yet seen a dial like that.  The link you posted clarifies that.  Now I know more than I did, and that was what I was hoping for.  

I actually quite like that, which is odd, since I'm not overly keen on the Datejust. 

I know its iconic and the design has been "homaged" to death, but somehow it doesn't hit the spot for me. That one is not too bad.

Having said that, if you are going to go for an enamel dial, there is so much more you can do with it.

This lot for example. -> https://www.gearpatrol.com/watches/a591357/these-are-the-best-watches-with-enamel-dials/

The AnOrdian and the Holthinrich are more my -fine-bone-china-cup-  of tea.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

I have never come across a dial like this on a Rolex. I have searched the net and again could not find a match.. For me it’s not a typical clean Rolex design.. 

Therefore I have my doubts but must say the Rolex clones are getting very good indeed.

• Like 1

Those are all gorgeous, Andy.  Particularly the A. Lange & Söhne.  Any time a watch brand can make a dial to be, both, as eye-catching as possible, and yet still very easily readable at a mere glance, I will probably fall hard for it every time.  Even that ceramic-dial Rolex up there does well for that.

In the end, if I ever consider getting a Rolex, or any other brand in that range requiring a large sum of money, I would not put forth one penny until I'd gotten out my loupe, taken off the bracelet, and opened the back.  For me anyway, that means I wouldn't be buying it online.
Some I will buy online.  Others, well...if driving out to pick it up is cheaper than the watch, or cheaper than being cheated, it's probably safer to do that.

Edited by KarlvonKoln

1 hour ago, AndyHull said:

The AnOrdian and the Holthinrich are more my -fine-bone-china-cup-  of tea.

I read anOrdain but see Armitage Shanks. Nice though. Re the Rolex: I'm not on FB, but from that picture I don't see a reason to think it's not genuine.

On 5/6/2022 at 6:16 PM, Klassiker said:
On 5/6/2022 at 4:15 PM, AndyHull said:

I read anOrdain but see Armitage Shanks.

Ooohh... harsh, but fair I guess. It does have a certain similarity to the colours of sanitary ware.

You might like their coloured enamel dials more. This is a company from Glasgow, (where I grew up), and the Glaswegians have a pretty dry sense of humour  so I suspect the "Vitreous Enamel" reference is slightly tongue in cheek.

image.thumb.png.889cd5f68a6e239ec612a58b7d3a73a0.png

https://anordain.com/

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

I do not have money but if I was in the market to purchase another Rolex I would not purchase from eBay. Just to many really good clones including really good Rolex paperwork that looks authentic. Whilst on the subject of Rolex for some reason there is a shortage and some are purchasing and re selling at double what was paid. Plenty of  examples on eBay . Noticed in our local jewellers Rolex’s are now for display only there is a waiting list. 

Edited by clockboy
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I see no point to avoid fake watches. I bjuy them myself. Last week I've bought rolex watch replica and no one could tell the difference. Watch replicas are usually less expensive than the authentic luxury watches, making them more accessible to a wider range of consumers. Additionally, replicas are mosly made with high-quality materials and craftsmanship, making them look very similar to the genuine item. They can also be a good way for people to test out different styles and designs before committing to a more expensive purchase.

Edited by kerrmbit

32 minutes ago, kerrmbit said:

They can also be a good way for people to test out different styles and designs before committing to a more expensive purchase.

Then buy a cheap watch from a branded manufacturer that looks like a Rolex, there are plenty out there. Or better yet, build an homage.

I wouldn't knowingly buy a counterfeit purely because I don't want to put money into the hands of counterfeiters. Not that Rolex is struggling for money. But if you're trying to get unsuspecting people to buy something that isn't what they expect it to be and making them pay more than the sum of its parts just because you put someone else's logo on it, that's criminal, and I don't want to be part of encouraging that.

Edited by lexacat
  • Like 4

• 8 months later...

Hey there, Karl! I totally get that feeling when something seems off. Checked out the link, and the watch does seem a bit fishy. Trust your instincts – Rolex replicas are everywhere, and it's crucial to help each other spot them. However, I know there are also Patek Philippe replica watch, which is highly realistic, too. If you want a real one, it's better to learn more and find out.

Edited by kerrmbit