New method of re bushing clocks😊

clockboy

By the looks of the plate and hammer spring I would say it’s a Longcase movement.

I will never understand how people can do such terrible work. Whoever did it should never be allowed near any clock. It is still going on looking at some Youtube videos. The other day a bloody old idiot was re-bushing an American clock using a power drill with a reamer in the chuck.

• Like 1

There was a 'so called' professional clock maker where I live that has thankfully now retired that his work would regularly turn up at other workshops after the owners realised he had botched the clock

They usually arrived with all sorts of things soft soldered in place, but once one appeared with an off cut of a coke can glued in place to push a pivot back in place rather than rebushing the plate.

As oldhippy says there are butchers everywhere.

Back in the 1950s or 60s in Australia the Horological Guild of Australia tried to make the watchmaker a licensed profession like a plumber or electrician to stop this but the government of the day wasn't interested and I would say they would be even less interested today.

1 hour ago, Tmuir said:

There was a 'so called' professional clock maker where I live that has thankfully now retired that his work would regularly turn up at other workshops after the owners realised he had botched the clock

They usually arrived with all sorts of things soft soldered in place, but once one appeared with an off cut of a coke can glued in place to push a pivot back in place rather than rebushing the plate.

As oldhippy says there are butchers everywhere.

Back in the 1950s or 60s in Australia the Horological Guild of Australia tried to make the watchmaker a licensed profession like a plumber or electrician to stop this but the government of the day wasn't interested and I would say they would be even less interested today.

And that doesn't always work either. I come across bodging plumbers and sparkies all the time. I can see your point but having a bodged watch on your wrist is hardly a threat to your life, unless you are late getting home for tea or picking up the missus. 😄

• Haha 1