mrxmttr

mrxmmttrmr

American cuckoo clock bellows material. The clock is probably from the 1920s, the bellows material appears to be paper but not sure. I would like to keep the clock as original as possible so tyvek is out. Does not appear to be leather. Should I be looking for rice paper and if so any special type? Thanks

Hi the origioal would have been Velum (fine leather) whether you can get hold of it now I dont know as most are replaced using tyvek.  Velum is soft and a pale buff colour, tyvek could be dyed using coffee/tea to blend in or I read somewhere that some envelopes are of a tyvek type and already coloured.   A Resrorer In America recomends kid skin he gets it from Columbia leather co  which I suppose is more common than Velum/parchment.

Thanks for the input. Maybe i'm just spinning my wheels here but I feel like tyvek in this clock would be a mistake. I have been looking into leather. Oddly though the original material seems like paper. Anyway, thanks for the reply

I would say the hands are certainly original, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are made of ivory, if they are thick then it would be yes. The plates are cast brass and not of the rubbish that you see in modern cuckoo clock movements. Another thing it has a count wheel strike, also a sign of the old type of movement, modern types have rack striking. The wood is from the lime tree which is favored in Germany. Not only is the movement German but the case also. A very basic shape of pendulum which is original. It is 30 hour duration. Dates from around the 1890.  

• Like 1