Aspiring Timex watchmaker

Ashket

I'm learning all I can about Timex really because they are some of the most interesting in that the engineering that went in to making them was so efficient it lead to a very cheap yet reliable watch. They are also some of the few vintage watches that have very clear service manuals available online, and something a lot of watchmakers seem to not know much about. I know they are a challenge, but that's what makes them worth the effort to me. I attached a pic of my favorite watch as of right now. I'm excited to be a part of this forum.PXL_20220429_214630444_MP.thumb.jpg.013237d0b95c7401ddfe37192ef99f9e.jpg

Welcome to our forum!  Wait until you meet JerseyMo! He's one of our Timex experts.  We have a few. 

I specialize in the antiques, primarily pocket watches, and even I have gained a measure of respect for old pin-lever Timex watches.  I have an old Marlin and an Electric.  They may not be a Vacheron Constantin, but they have a certain vintage charm to them. And once you get used to expecting certain unique idiosyncrasies, they're actually not that hard to service.  There's even a degree of parts-interchangeability between some models.

A couple years ago, I'd never expect to be singing any praises about them, but for something rugged, reliable, affordable, and accurate enough to get workers to their job on time, they're a hard act to follow.

Have fun here!  Share stories! Post pictures!  Spend time!

• Like 2

Hello and welcome to the forum.  A timex fan not many watchmakers were included in that , their usual repair tool was the post office/hammer.  It either went back to the facrory or suffered a headache.  They were  unique  in the watch world at the time and still are in that no other manufacturer has copied the design . How many other watches could take the beating they took ancome up ticking, probably none.

Welcome.

My Dad ran a watch shop for 40 years and he hated them with a passion. Lots of them were traded in for Longines, Bulova, or Hamiltons that he carried. I ended up with these and have restored a few of the electrics.

I love the e petitions and have bought and restored a few for almost nothing. Great watch when on the tractor, splitting wood, or canoeing in the BWCAW. So there is a place for them in this wide world.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...