Any idea?

Hello all. 

Font of all knowledge that you are.

Anyone any idea as to the make of this watch? Has BB with a crown logo. Chronometer marked on dial. Case has number 089520A on the back. Got for a song. Just needs a battery, which I have ordered. 

Regards

Ross1240251899_20220430_150021BBCrown.thumb.jpg.214817ad03f4075a055a9d8bfc9554b3.jpg

28 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

The names on the dials  can be the finishers or the advertisers.

Thank you for the reply Watchweasol. Pardon my ignorance for the question, I have no wish to offend. Will knowing the movement give detail of the watch maker? Do not a number of watch maker companies use movements that are the same? For my own reference I'm trying to find the make/ model of the watch.

I don't yet feel that I have the requisite skill to work on a quartz movement. 

Regards

Ross

Hi Ross  Indeed they do, you find Hattori movements, Miyota's movements Ronda movements in quite a number of cases  with different names on the dial. It was the same years ago when the Eubauches manufactured several brands and did exactly the same (badge technology)  The ones within a sheild  P =Peseux   and ST    all eubauches movements.    The one in side yours could be any  of the quartz ones mentioned.  To illustrate the problem I have attached a sheet of watch makers marks.   So in effect you could order a watch and have any movement you choose and your name on the dial, doesn't mean you made it. Thats why we go with the movement mark and caliber number (the people who made the watch movement).  Ordering an escape wheel for a Tissot means nothing   It may be using an eta 2428-2 movement  or  Sellitia.

Sheffield-Allsport-thread03-logo_reference.jpg

• Like 1

Watchweasol

What a brilliant reply. Excellent. Thank you.

Makes so much difference when someone does not take offence and just offers advice. I went on one site recently to try to find particular movement and was told ' perhaps you need to do some more reading'. 

So much to learn. So little time. So much fun!

Regards

Ross

Hi Ross  the whole idea of a forum such as this . the dissemination of information. I find it dificult to comprehend when that is not so .  as there is no purpose in being on the forum if you are not able to share knowledge and information to those just starting out. ask all the questions you want its a major  way of learning  all the best.

• Like 1

Apparently the company is no longer in existence. However I believe that the movements were in partnership with Bulova. Not sure I believe that.

Regards

Ross

17 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Is the movement Swiss or Japan made? 

I have attached a photograph. Perhaps someone can assist with identification.

The writing on the base plate is 

S110

No Jewels

Japan

UD57B (there is a number 2 to the right of this numbering, but it does appear separate)

Ross

20220501_152405.jpg

Edited by rossjackson01
Add Photograph

I wouldn't be surprised if  Brooks & Bentley was bought by Japs, the movement looks a generic Japan made one.

Compared to mechanical movements, Chronograph complications on quartz movements are somewhat less complex to work on, nevertheless, you are likely to get advised to replace the movement if this one needed a full tear down. 

Good luck pal.

• Thanks 1

Hi Ross     

On 4/29/2022 at 6:39 PM, oldhippy said:

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

Is there a cal number on the movement? Some good photos would help. If there is no cal on the movement we need photos of the keyless work side and a photo of the incabloc. Give us as much info as you can.

Hector is spot on   Hattori VD57B    I have attached the techincal docs for you.  some of these guys require you to jump start them by shorting out the ac (clear) spot and the cover plate , it will all be in the docs if so.    cheers

3007_Hattori VD57B pg 1-5 (4).pdf 3008_Hattori VD57B pg 6-10 (2).pdf

Hi Ross Apologies for the garbage pressed wrong key  (senior moment)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Ross Apologies for the garbage pressed wrong key  (senior moment)

Senior moment? Been there, still doing it.

Docs downloaded into my Brooks and Bentley folder. Waiting for the battery next week. Will keep you all posted.

Regards

Ross

Brilliant! New battery arrived. Took my time. Installed as per the directions of the pdf (thank you Watchweasol). Runs like a dream. Cleaned the Crystal. Looks great. Next job. Repair the strap. New pins needed. 

More posting when that is done.

Getting there.

Ross

• Like 2

On 5/1/2022 at 4:43 PM, HectorLooi said:

I wonder why no markings ? I stripped dozens just like these down just after Xmas from a massive job lot of quartz. All of them were stamped up. A replacement already in the watch.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

On 5/7/2022 at 10:01 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

I wonder why no markings ?

There were markings. They were not visible to the naked eye. Under high magnification and at an angle I could just make  out the etching. I've repaired one part of the strap using split cotter pins. However I've had to order a Pressure Bars & Rivet Set so that I can combine the clasp to the strap. Needing parts never ends.

Will keep you all posted

Regards

Ross

6 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

There were markings. They were not visible to the naked eye. Under high magnification and at an angle I could just make  out the etching. I've repaired one part of the strap using split cotter pins. However I've had to order a Pressure Bars & Rivet Set so that I can combine the clasp to the strap. Needing parts never ends.

Will keep you all posted

Regards

Ross

Hi ross. Yes i can just see it now in the middle to the right. Is the clasp held with a tight friction pin ?