Hobby Servicing (Zep Purple Decreaser)

I see that on the hobby level many use naphtha as step one of the movement cleaning stage. Does anybody have any experience with something else? I have this Zep product (attached photo) and was wondering if anybody has used something similar. I have not tried it yet.

Thanks

Zep.jpg

34 minutes ago, NerfHerder said:

I see that on the hobby level many use naphtha as step one of the movement cleaning stage. Does anybody have any experience with something else? I have this Zep product (attached photo) and was wondering if anybody has used something similar. I have not tried it yet.

Thanks

Zep.jpg

What's in it mate ?

1 hour ago, NerfHerder said:

It is marketed as a "deep cleaning shop formula" for heavy machinery, engine parts & tools, shop floors, work surfaces, unfinished concrete and metal. Ingredients on page 1 of attached. Just wondering, but I may go with the lighter fluid.

ZepIngredients.pdf 254.08 kB · 2 downloads

Ok so Nerf. Personally  I don't like anything  that has water as a base, I had a bad experience this way, and I will probably  never use anything water based again. Saying that the pros use water based products and apparently have good results with them. But they also have the correct equipment and knowhow of how to use them . But it's not for me. I personally  use naptha to degrease parts and then high grade  ipa (isopropyl) to rinse with (but not the pallet fork or the balance as the ipa can have the potential to soften the shellac in these areas ). And that seems to work OK for me. It's fairly  cheap and does an acceptable job, I'm not a pro and barely an amateur. It's a good place to start in other words.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NerfHerder said:

Thanks for this. I like that approach 👍.

The water issue is about corrosion?

Yes. It's amazing how quickly the old iron oxide gets to work. My grandfather's  watch was almost ruined after I followed a youtubers advice on cleaning with water as a base. Some pros use good water based products  designed for watches but their equipment  is designed  to dry very quickly and efficiently.  This is just why I stay away from them, I consider it too much of risk. I have heard others have similar issues. For me at the moment. A cheap sonic cleaner naptha and ipa, the results arnt bad.

• Like 1

Thanks again for sharing this. This explains why I see some service videos putting the watch parts in a separate bottle with a non water soluble degreaser, which is then put into the ultrasonic cleaner tank with water in it. I haven't got an ultrasonic yet. Soon.

My grandfather's watch is also on my list to clean and service but I don't want it to be my first tear down. It was running about 3 years ago but now it's not. It's a Waltham PW, model 1908, grade No. 613, (I have no idea what that means lol). I did manage to let down the main spring. Which I guess was my first step into servicing, so...yay me.

My father's watches are more interesting then I first thought. I only thought he wore battery powered movements, but turns out he had 3 mechanicals. A Bulova automatic (50's-60's), that I'm having trouble identifying. The case is in rough shape. After that he had a couple of Hoverta automatics. I think this was during the 70's but not sure.

I just need to find some practice watches/movements to get some confidence I think. Do you source other watches to work on or just watches you own? I thought finding cheap non runners would be easier to source.

3 hours ago, NerfHerder said:

Thanks again for sharing this. This explains why I see some service videos putting the watch parts in a separate bottle with a non water soluble degreaser, which is then put into the ultrasonic cleaner tank with water in it. I haven't got an ultrasonic yet. Soon.

My grandfather's watch is also on my list to clean and service but I don't want it to be my first tear down. It was running about 3 years ago but now it's not. It's a Waltham PW, model 1908, grade No. 613, (I have no idea what that means lol). I did manage to let down the main spring. Which I guess was my first step into servicing, so...yay me.

My father's watches are more interesting then I first thought. I only thought he wore battery powered movements, but turns out he had 3 mechanicals. A Bulova automatic (50's-60's), that I'm having trouble identifying. The case is in rough shape. After that he had a couple of Hoverta automatics. I think this was during the 70's but not sure.

I just need to find some practice watches/movements to get some confidence I think. Do you source other watches to work on or just watches you own? I thought finding cheap non runners would be easier to source.

Hi Nerf. An ultra sonic is a good cheap step for cleaning . You don't need to spend much I think I paid around 50 GBP. which is around $60. Mine has a 2 frequency setting, one for deeper cleaning of braclets and cases and a more gentle one for watch parts . Also a heater but you obviously want to avoid this when using flammable solvents. Definitely start on some cheap bought aquired watches for practice ebay is a good source maybe not so over where you are ? Here in UK we have a few other auction sites as well. You can often pick up some real bargains here. But also yard sales, I'm assuming you are in USA, in the UK we call them carboots, fields full of sellers selling  all manner of things from the boots of their cars. This is were you can really strike lucky, I often come home with some great finds for pennies. I'm a joiner by trade but also have a house removal business, it's surprisingly how my generation would sooner have me take away a deceased parents home than deal with it themselves. There are some really nice knowledgeable guys on here that can help you with pocket watches and American brands etc, they not really my thing maybe later. I was brave lol and jumped straight  into wristwatches and even some small ladies watches. My logic was if I can work on small watches to start with I can fix anything.  Strangely enough my crazy logic does work. My preference  is vintage Swiss anything from 1920s up to the 80s, so any questions  here then I'm your man. So mate get cracking, keep your questions coming for us all, we're  a friendly bunch (mostly haha). And more importantly enjoy what you are doing 👍