Allow me to introduce myself…

Hello everyone, happy to see this forum and looking forward to exploring and gleaning some advise on my watch/clock servicing journey. I’m in my early 50’s and from one of the Maritime provinces in Canada. I have always been interested in horology but never thought I would want to tear down a clock or watch movement. I’m not rushing things. Currently I’m voraciously reading and putting a megaton of hours viewing servicing videos. Favourite Youtube channels currently are Nekkid Watchmaker, Wristwatch Revival, Vintage Watch Services and of course Watch Repair Channel. Also currently procuring basic tools and lubricants. I look forward to any type of advise you are willing to unload.

Cheers

• Like 2

Those very YT channels are what hooked me. You should also investigate Mark's courseware.

1. Have reasonable expectations when you start.
  2. Start with a pocket watch (preferably one that you know was previously running).
  3. Don't go crazy buying tools as it can get spendy.
  4. Have fun!

This is a great resource. There is quite a lot of knowledge buried in some of those 25 page threads.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NerfHerder said:

Hello everyone, happy to see this forum and looking forward to exploring and gleaning some advise on my watch/clock servicing journey. I’m in my early 50’s and from one of the Maritime provinces in Canada. I have always been interested in horology but never thought I would want to tear down a clock or watch movement. I’m not rushing things. Currently I’m voraciously reading and putting a megaton of hours viewing servicing videos. Favourite Youtube channels currently are Nekkid Watchmaker, Wristwatch Revival, Vintage Watch Services and of course Watch Repair Channel. Also currently procuring basic tools and lubricants. I look forward to any type of advise you are willing to unload.

Cheers

Hiya NH. Welcome to the forum . There's a tonne of knowledge here from pros amateurs  and even beginner's. Yup they are all good youtubers.  Also check out Kalle at chronoglide,  a very experienced professional but explains things at a laymen level. Make sure you post up photos along with your questions as this really helps with diagnosis of problems. Any thing that helps you or you like etc . Use the icon buttons  at the bottom right of the screen. It just shows that you appreciate the help that's been given. Enjoy matey.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

Here are three more that are a must to watch I recommend them. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/ChronoglideWatchmaking

https://www.youtube.com/c/TommyJobson

https://www.youtube.com/user/spahlow/videos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hello and welcome to the forum,  Good advise from grsnovi take it steady and most of all enjoy it.

Hi I have attached a bit of reading for you to get you started.

moebius-specsbook (1).pdf 3.63 MB · 0 downloads 1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist (2) (1).pdf 371.51 kB · 0 downloads TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf 4.2 MB · 0 downloads

Wow, these are awesome resources, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

• 4 weeks later...