Anyone paints dials, or knows someone?

ALS

Hello!

So I am kind of just getting into this hobby, and I found beautiful ~1912 gem from auction. It's Omega's pocketwatch, and from what I found on internet, I think it's 19 cal. movement. Did not really know how to tell because it has only serial number (4100990) and 4 digit number (0990) on the underside of the train of wheels bridge (third picture).

Anyway, there are some small tweaks to fix, like the ratchet wheel has worn so much, that if has holes in it (first picture).  Those spare parts are somewhat easy to get, BUT that dial has worn really not too beautifully, ink has started to spread, and it just wipes away with cottonstick. I have seen some kind of dials on eBay that might fit on this watch, but I am feeling that I want to keep this one, because it is so unique in color, and pattern in the middle. I was not able to find same dial anywhere and that is good and bad thing 😄

Now getting to the main point. 

Any of you paint dials, or know someone who does? As I am just starting this hobby, so that means I am also kinda on budget, so I cannot lean on any one too professional 😄

IMG_20220427_233720.jpg

IMG_20220428_031929.jpg

IMG_20220427_235610.jpg

Edited by ALS

2 hours ago, grsnovi said:

I have no idea what it will likely cost you (or what it may be worth to you) but these guys seem to do amazing work. I think there's also somebody in Texas that does dial restoration.

Damn, atleast on that site, the price starts with 100 pounds for cleaning the dial and repainting and I am guessing repaint works only if they have good enough reference point. And the price does not seem horrible for the job. But I think it's too much for my wallet.

3 hours ago, grsnovi said:

You have to admit their work looks great.

Indeed! Those look pretty flawless, what you can inspect on the site.

9 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Same is done for much less in India. 

Contact on ebay them Indian selling watches with painted dial.

Good luck

I don't know why, but it feels kinky and risky at the same time to send the dial to Indian guy from eBay 😄 but I might atleast give look at it!

15 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Same is done for much less in India. 

Contact on ebay them Indian selling watches with painted dial.

Good luck

My thoughts exactly. If they would only concentrate on doing dial refurbishments and breaking down watches for their parts, instead of trying to pass off some hack job as a working watch. 🤬

6 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Two dial refinished I have used in the states. Kirk Rich, and International Dial. Expect to pay $100 to $200.

Many years ago, Southern Dial in Dallas, but they are no longer in business.

Well the price doe's not seep too bad, but what i decided to try, is sometihng new :D. I asked one friend of mine to desing and cut with lazercutter he has, a watch face on masking film. Plan is to try paint atleast the main numbers back myself.