Unusual arbor-barrel arrangement?

APvRV

This Kienzle Markant has a mainspring arbor that is part of the barrel lid (top of pic). The challenge is to wind the spring around the arbor, then insert it into the barrel. Has anyone dealt with this before, and is there a tool to do it? I cannot see how a "standard" mainspring winder will handle this...

20220415_104527.jpg

18 minutes ago, APvRV said:

This Kienzle Markant has a mainspring arbor that is part of the barrel lid (top of pic). The challenge is to wind the spring around the arbor, then insert it into the barrel. Has anyone dealt with this before, and is there a tool to do it? I cannot see how a "standard" mainspring winder will handle this...

20220415_104527.jpg

Yup. They're a bloody pain in the arse

18 minutes ago, APvRV said:

20220415_104527.jpg

That isn't the arbor mate, it's the click. The arbor is free floating. You can still use a mainspring  winder to get the spring in and out of the barrel. There should be a loose lid with a slot in it to go on first then feed the click onto that and Into barrel and onto the spring.  They are a bit fiddly. I can send you a photo later, I have one striped down at home.

9 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

The challenge is to wind the spring around the arbor, then insert it into the barrel. Has anyone dealt with this before, and is

No mate the spring always goes into the barrel first. Bless you have just stated the impossible  here lol. 😄

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
Wasn't funny enough

Open the mainspring end with a pair of round nosed pliers just a little at a time. You can press in the arbor at an angle which will force the end of the mainspring to open even more and it should hook on. That is what I used to do. Others might have different ways. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, APvRV said:

20220415_104527.jpg

I would go with Old Hippy on this Ap. The first coil is always a bit tight I find and you do have to come in with the hook on a bit of an angle to get it started along with some manipulation of that first coil. Quite fiddly as you are working under the lid a little bit. Do you have the lid that goes inbetween ? Don't mind me earlier I'm having a silly day, which tbh is most days. I think there's something  in the water where I live cause we are all a bit barmy in my area 😄

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

As mentioned, they're a real pain. You have to get the first coil just the right size. 

I've only come across it on pocket watches.

I have an Elgin Veritas where the arbor is part of the barrel, so you can't tilt it. Took lots of fiddling to get it to work.

20150731_153629.thumb.jpg.34de7dab86e9ef4957eb8b0cee1e14be.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikepilk said:

As mentioned, they're a real pain. You have to get the first coil just the right size. 

I've only come across it on pocket watches.

I have an Elgin Veritas where the arbor is part of the barrel, so you can't tilt it. Took lots of fiddling to get it to work.

20150731_153629.thumb.jpg.34de7dab86e9ef4957eb8b0cee1e14be.jpg

A few Swiss are like this with the click piggybacking the barrel. With a seperate  floating arbor