How do I find information on this watch?

Hi all!

I just picked up this little watch - not running, super dirty inside, but looked too interesting to pass!

doesn’t have any markings on it (aside from “Swiss made on one of the corners of the movement)..

any thoughts on where I can find more details on it?

I don’t have any tools yet so perhaps I could look behind the dial once I can get it off!02122305-42A1-44C7-B3A8-98746734D0F2.thumb.jpeg.edcd0266b1a559d2b8129361dfd0dff3.jpegBC03D193-3773-45E6-A4F1-264CCA679582.thumb.jpeg.a53a9e1970693d9ab518c4932164a2be.jpegC12551E0-13A7-41DD-AC4D-86D6350B2049.thumb.jpeg.67a64e83c9096dcdb5b75e169fa5779d.jpeg55ACB3A7-31CE-4294-A779-26E3EBF7F36E.thumb.jpeg.36cad1aac83f9dc7c8952be715a8787c.jpegDC45F70E-F00D-46BA-8EA5-510E5B98D3D0.thumb.jpeg.3168c3f63f3a01f584801cf422715b6a.jpeg

BC3A704F-EFEA-426F-9E8D-B46348FDBE37.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Its a trench watch and some of these old ones have no markings and were identidfied via the setting lever parts, there are in the bestfit books.

Old Hippy put the links to them on the site and can be down loaded.  If using the search function on the home page and search the term "bestfit" and scroll down the results for Old Hippy's post of Dec 30th 2018 where you will find the links. I have checked and they are still operable and take you to the Meadiafire site for down loading.

• Like 1

You are going to need a few tools to get the movement out of its case. First you need to remove the winding stem, remove the bezel and then the hands, you then need to turn the two screws inside the movement that hold the two dial feet. Be carefull because the hour wheel might just drop off and you do not want to lose that the same goes for the dial washer that might be attached to the hour wheel. Post some nice clear photos of the keyless work that is how a movement can be identified. 

Tools needed tweezers, selection of watch screwdrivers, hand removers, if carefull you can remove them with tweezers but not advisable and you will need at least one eyeglass depending on your sight. My advice you will need many. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Very cool little watch!

Will this be the first one you'll undertake for restoration?

Yes I think it will be! It seems simple enough - I just hope I don’t encounter any broken parts along the way!!

21 hours ago, oldhippy said:

You are going to need a few tools to get the movement out of its case. First you need to remove the winding stem, remove the bezel and then the hands, you then need to turn the two screws inside the movement that hold the two dial feet. Be carefull because the hour wheel might just drop off and you do not want to lose that the same goes for the dial washer that might be attached to the hour wheel. Post some nice clear photos of the keyless work that is how a movement can be identified. 

Tools needed tweezers, selection of watch screwdrivers, hand removers, if carefull you can remove them with tweezers but not advisable and you will need at least one eyeglass depending on your sight. My advice you will need many. 

thanks kindly for your feedback and suggestions! I have a few loupes coming in from Amazon hopefully by the end of the week - the screwdrivers and tweezers are already here, and the hands removers are coming in from (apologies to all but I’m new at this!) AliExpress. 
once it’s all stripped and in parts I’ll take some better photos and share my progress!

21 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Its a trench watch and some of these old ones have no markings and were identidfied via the setting lever parts, there are in the bestfit books.

Old Hippy put the links to them on the site and can be down loaded.  If using the search function on the home page and search the term "bestfit" and scroll down the results for Old Hippy's post of Dec 30th 2018 where you will find the links. I have checked and they are still operable and take you to the Meadiafire site for down loading.

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion. I noticed I got a response by old hippy as well!

i Have found the documents referenced. Unfortunately I’ve no idea how to use them! But I imagine I will need to find amongst the movement some sort of identifiable reference, or similar. 

thanks again to you all for your quick responses!

In order to try to find the maker you first need the size of the watch and then reference it to the identification section of the book. Having the size cuts through a lot of information and focuses on the relavant shape and size. then cpiple that with the keyless works image using the setting lever spring shape  to home in on the maker.        cheers

It'll be well nigh impossible to establish who actually made/produced the watch. However, the movement itself is reminiscent of something from Adolf Schild, like the "old"version of the 10.5''' AS 373 which measures approx. 23.7mm in diameter and was in production from roughly 1920 (or earlier) to at least 1928 (or later).

However, whilst close, the AS 373 is not an exact match (e.g.the position of the stem release screw, whatever else) but as stated above, a clear image of the keyless works should help identify the maker of the movement, if not necessarily the producer of the watch. 

Regards.

6 hours ago, balaton said:

It'll be well nigh impossible to establish who actually made/produced the watch. However, the movement itself is reminiscent of something from Adolf Schild, like the "old"version of the 10.5''' AS 373 which measures approx. 23.7mm in diameter and was in production from roughly 1920 (or earlier) to at least 1928 (or later).

However, whilst close, the AS 373 is not an exact match (e.g.the position of the stem release screw, whatever else) but as stated above, a clear image of the keyless works should help identify the maker of the movement, if not necessarily the producer of the watch. 

Regards.

Hi WS welcome to the forum. Take a good macro photo with each part you remove, it really helps with reassembly.  Keep your parts removed bridges and cocks grouped with their screws (not all screws are the same) initially anyway, as your experience grows you will get a feel of which screw goes where. As your train wheels come out note their order of removal and their vertical orientation. There is generally a set order of in and out of the movement and its also easy to try to put them back upside down. Sounds obvious but trust me it does happen. What you are working on here is probably  a little easier and more obvious with it having seperate cocks and bridges for the train wheels as opposed  to one bridge for many train wheels. Be careful with the smaller of the steel cogs, so NOT the one with the 2 holes and the small clic . The one that is next to the crown

.(the crown wheel) The screw on this may be a left handed thread , in many cases of vintage  watches but not always. I'm not sure how far back that came about. Sometimes it's indicated with 2 extra lines alongside the slot of the screw but again not always. So be a little careful with that one, just a gentle twist each way until you discover which way its threaded. I'm just wondering if the screw head has broken off on the ratchet wheel ? Could this also have been left handed anyone ?  Keep us informed of your progress and always best to ask before doing something  you are unsure of it can save you a headache. Ps. Sorry I just realised I addressed this to balaton, I'm terrible for that🙃

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
Wrong person quoted lol