Notice a lot of avatars are bikes what have you got, what have you had? Comments & analysis please.

My brief history:

Not a vast amount by any means, but I have always had 2 wheels since I was sixteen and hope to keep it that way.

Bikes I have owned in order of appearance:

1976-1978 Yamaha FS1E-DX. Fell of it more times than I could count. Sold for-

1978-1981 Suzuki GT185. Took it down to Cornwall on the train & went touring. Stolen, insurance payout for-

1981-1983 Honda 400-4 F2 later customised- bored out to 460cc, gas flowed head, race pipe etc. probably put about another 5mph on the top speed but was quick off the mark. Went to Isle of Man TT. Sold for-

1983-1997 Honda CB900 F2 later converted to CB1100R spec by Harris Performance. Fast & handled well. Longest trip - Enfield to Plymouth and my **BLEEP** still hurts. Crashed (low speed), dismantled for repairs, never completed & given away in boxes.

1991-1995 Suzuki TS250. Brought me back down to earth after the CB900, but a real fun ride. Sold for-

1995-2005 Suzuki GSF600S Bandit. Used for London commuting (100 mile round trip), good all rounder but poor headlight. 103,000 miles later sold for-

2005-2011 Triumph Speed Four. Again used for London commuting. By far the best handling bike I have ever ridden. 84,000 miles later sold for-

2011 to present Triumph Trophy 1200 T312. Used for a 2 week trip to Venice via Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Monaco & France totalling 2,642 miles. Handling a little vague compared to the Speed Four, but quick & comfortable. I would like to sell it for a Triumph Speed Triple R (approx. £10,000) a real hooligans bike & a new Triumph Trophy 1200 (approx. £14,000) the modern version of my present bike & the ultimate trans-continetial tourer. Alas I haven't got the spare cash. When I do have some I tend to spend it on crappy watches before the Boss insists that I have to invest it in Emma Bridgwaters factory, the only thing keeping Stoke on Trent afloat.
  • Like 1

Can't give you dates, but here's goes.....

When I was 16, Suzuki AP 50, at the time one of the last unrestricted 50cc's. Had it bored out to 60cc. Sold for.....

17th birthday,,,, a Honda H100,,,picked up cheap so I could do my motorbike test. Sold quickly for...

Suzuki X5, kept that for a year, then as insurance got cheaper, sold for....

Honda 400/4,,loved this bike, had it a year, but engine needed work so sold it for ......

Suzuki Gs400,,,an ok bike, the same story, insurance getting cheaper, so kept it a year, then sold for...

Kawasaki Gpz 550. Nice bike kept for a year, then wanted bigger. Sold for...

Honda Cbx 750,, this bike was a total waste of time, bought from a dealer but it developed so many proplems, they had it back. Then got a ...

Kawasaki Gpz 750r. Loved this bike. Had it for 3 years. Wish I still had it. But one wet winters night, decided I had enough of being cold and wet, so sold it for a Ford Capri!!!!!

Spent the next 15 years bikeless, then bought a 1973 Triumph T110, which I restored and kept for 5 years, sold it then.

Then last year, bought a Triumph America,,,fair weather rider now. But planning to do a few long distance trips on it, starting with Belgium in a couple of months time.

post-760-0-21325400-1432360228_thumb.jpe

• Like 1

Hells's hairsprings - what a lot of bikes! And only two British makes listed - or rather, one listed twice. Good old Triumph.

My biking days ended when I was 20 - fifty years ago - because I became more interested in carrying guitars and amps around, so public transport and then the car took over. In my day I rode (begged or borrowed mainly):

Douglas Dragonfly (350 horizontal twin)

James Cadet (125)

AJS

Velocette

BSA Gold Star (500) - did my first ton on that one on the 2nd day after the opening of the first motorway in England - M6 Lancaster to Preston.

Royal Enfield (dispatch rider's bike)

Good old days - pre compulsory skid lid era, but I always wore one, having seen the brains of those that didn't. And always wore leathers. I see riders on the road in jeans and T-shirts and I think, "Hmm... enjoy the gravel burn when you get one...".

There's nothing quite like the sound of an old British bike engine - nothing modern interests me and, as I said, my biking days were over a long time ago!

• Like 1

Remember watching an old Douglas being ridden around a field in the late 60's when I was knee high to a grasshopper. Sparked an obsession with with me with boxer engines I guess.

78 was the year I started officially on the road with a Yamaha RS100. Very forgiving and got me around the valleys for a few years.

Ten years in the "wilderness" in 4 wheel's while in Polly and first job then

91 - 94 Yamaha XJ 600, nice bike but by 25,000 rather tatty looking due to year round use.

94-98 BMW R80Rt, a "boxer" flat twin nick named Layla in hommage to Slow Hand. Great bike taken to 60,000

98-00 BMW F650, bit of a dissapoint and didn't stay in the Stable too long.

00- to date BMW R80Rt, last batch made of this long lived model. Been on a few trips to Europe and currently on 110,000. Going to be with me a few years more to be sure. High days and holiday's use only now but good enough for a European trip if needed.

03- to date, BMW R100Rs. Another boxer this time from 1983. My first completed restoration project that's not used too much these days. A dream fullfiled but now needs to be passed on.

09-12 BMW R1100Rt taken to over 110,000 before replacing. Used mainly for year round commuting and occasional trip back to the Valley's / France.

12- to date BMW R1150Rt, current year round work horse. wonderful bike but why such a complicated hydraulic system for the stoppers?

• Like 1

Oh my, I can't get within a light year of any of you as, having grown up the son of a motor dealer, cars were my principal focus. My first four-wheeled foray was a Ford V-8 Pilot.

I had a Binetta moped for my first two wheeler and then nothing until, when I was well into my forties, I bought a Suzuki LS 650 - the so-called Savage! I rode that to the European HOG rally in Munich - yes, a Suzi alone among several thousand Harleys - and back via Luxembourg.

Having, after 10 years, sold the Suzuki I had no particular desire for two wheels until I discovered the cult East German moped the Simson KR51. I very quickly ended up with two, a KR51/1 and a 51/2, both in bits.

One is still in bits!

Here's an example:

commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1978_Schwalbe_Simson_Scooter.jpg

Something I have never done before CB, is to list everything I've had over the years, but here goes.

Past bikes from 1967 and in no particular order:-

AJS 250CSR, AJS 250 trials, Ariel Arrow 250, Ariel 350 Red Hunter, BSA D1 125 Bantam, BSA C11g, BSA D1 Bantam, BSA C15, BSA 35 Empire Star, BSA Gold Flash 650, Brough Superior SS80, Cyclemaster 32cc, Ducati 900ss Bevel, Honda 250 CB72, Honda NC24, Kawasaki 400 four, Matchless 650CSR, Norton 350 Model50, Norton 500 ES2, Norton Dominator 600 (x2), Norton 750 Atlas, Royal Enfield 570, Suzuki GSXR 750 slab side.

Current bikes:-

AJS 18s 500, BMW RS100 Motorsport, Ducati 748r, Honda NC30 400, Honda RVF 400, Honda RC30 750, Kawasaki ZZR 1100, Norton 650ss Dominator, Triumph Trident 750, Triumph Trophy 900 triple.

Time to start thing them down methinks.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Current - 2004  '98 XJ600

2003 - 2000 OEC 197cc sold ebay £150 doh!

1996 - 1987 VFR 750F

1972 - 1970 Honda CD175 sold £20.00

1969 - 1969 Lambretta TV175 sold £10.00

1969 - 1968 BSA C15 sold £5.00

1964 BSA Bantam D7 given away when my parents moved house...

on the bucket list , trip to the Island....

Interesting topic...

In order of appearance (as they say)...

Honda VT250

Suzuki GSX750E

Kawa GPZ750turbo

Kawa GPZ550 unitrak

HondaCB250 twin

Suzuki GSXR1100 H

Yam DT125

Kawasaki ER6N (current)

Also had a 63 Vespa and 66 lambretta .....

All the above were pretty decent, kawa turbo was smooth and powerful but surprisingly hard on the wrists. The one I would like to have back would be the GSX750E...

Anil

Edited by anilv

Good selection of bikes Anil. (The scooters don't count) ;)

I've just read the spec on the 750 turbo and was surprised that it was only 112 BHP. It's amazing how things have progressed since then.

Good selection of bikes Anil. (The scooters don't count) ;)

I've just read the spec on the 750 turbo and was surprised that it was only 112 BHP. It's amazing how things have progressed since then.

It was a good match to the handling, braking & tyres of the time though. 

• Like 1

Geo,

Riding the turbo was something like riding a two stroke ...you had that same kick when he boost came 'On'..

Built like a brick shithouse.! Only thing I didn't like was the tank got very hot after a while, this was because the fuel injection kept sending back heated fuel (via the pressure regulator) and this was not nice in Malaysia! Might be OK in cooler climes tho'.

Anil

• Like 1

Hi guy's, inbetween bikes at the moment after a back operation. But history below.

Yam DT50

WR250

2003 R1

Husberg 650

KTM 530 exc

GSXR 1000 k8

As soon as the wife allows me to ride again, I'll be getting the new KTM 500

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm ashamed to say I was going to buy this bike and its owner, she, was going to teach me how to ride it, but my wife didn't let me. She said it was too dangerous...I have no idea what bike it was!

post-253-0-25214000-1435340533.jpg

:D

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

I'm ashamed to say I was going to buy this bike and its owner, she, was going to teach me how to ride it, but my wife didn't let me. She said it was too dangerous...I have no idea what bike it was!

attachicon.gifBike1.jpg

:D

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob,

It's probably for the best. That wide rear tire will make turning difficult and the seat looks like the two of you would be crowded. These would make learning difficult, although from her appearance I'm sure she'd be a very caring and patient instructor.

My list of bikes, best I can remember;

1975 Kawasaki S3 400cc twostroke triple 1988-90

1981 Suz Gs1000 1990-92

1992 Suz DR650 1994-96

1991 Honda CR250 1997-2001

1989 Kaw ZX-10 1997-2003

1989 Yam WR250 1998-99

2004 HD 1200 Sportster 2004-07

2001 Honda CR250 2007-2012

1973 Honda Z50 2009-present

1971 Honda Z50ak2 cafe build 2008

1972 Honda CB175SS 2007-present

2001 Yamaha FZ1000S 2006-present

I'm sure I missed a few.

• Like 2

That wide rear tire will make turning difficult and the seat looks like the two of you would be crowded

I don't know steve, those were exactly the features I liked about this bike...I'm not bothered by slow turns much,...oh! and the rear tire, amazingly wide! :D

• Like 1

I just joined the forum and saw this topic, so I"ll play.

• Numerous 2 stroke dirtbikes growing up.
  • Ducati monster.  My 1st streetbike and a lot of fun.  Sold to get the next one.
  • Ducati 848.  My 1st superbike.  More than I was or still am worthy of, but a lot of fun.  Sold to get the next one.
  • Ducati 1198s.  My current bike.  Way more than I am worthy of, and a real hoot.  I just have to be careful, don't want to mess up my watch.

I don't have anything like the bike with the tattooed girl, although those boots look interesting.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who have contributed, very nice machinery out there (even the scooters). Slight change of tack - what was your favourite that you would love to own again? (with photo if possible).

Here's mine:

post-80-0-25802400-1435614546_thumb.jpg

the 2004 Triumph Speed Four photo taken 6 weeks before being sold.

Edited by Blacklab