Spring has Sprung

RogerH

I have a nice little time piece with a platform escapement. it runs nicely but slow. on inspection of the balance spring I found the regulator appeared to not be attached. however, there looks to be two possible positions. A large space on the left and a thin gap on the right (as per the red lines) Can someone help with where the spring should go. In my mind it should be attached so that, by moving the slow / fast lever you're shortening or lengthening the spring but I thought I would check before I get too involved knowing how delicate these things can be.

Balance with lines.jpg

Balance Spring.jpg

Like Joe shows above. If the latch part of the "boot" is missing it''s not a problem, it's there on watches to keep the spring in place in event of a shock. On a clock it isn't a problem (in spite of it being out of place on yours- judging by the hairiness of yours it's seen some battles).

• Thanks 1

The outside coil of the hairspring should be between the regulator. No matter what position you have the regulator in the hairspring should be able to move giving a sort of bouncing action between the boot and the pin. Make sure the hairspring is level and is not touching the balance or the balance cock.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1