Help with my BENRUS (no moment number on case, but it looks like a Citation Model)

MF60

As I recall the contact was broke a long time ago, by broke I mean it started to move side to side.  I'd say that was 30 years ago and I gave up on the watch.  After I noticed that I left it in a drawer and the battery was in it.  I don't see any leakage or swelling.

12 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

http://www.crazywatches.pl/benrus-electronic-esa9154-1970

Have a look at this movement. It has the same 3 pronged battery contact as your watch.

But we won't know for sure until you get the watch open.

WOW, that looks like it could be it!  The movement, I mean.  But I'm only viewing through a tiny porthole.  LOL

Thank you for that webpage I bookmarked it!

Mark

12 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

While it probably is the 9154 it could be the 9150. Or might be one of the ones found at the first link you can pick and choose. But more than likely at the second link you scroll down until you get to ESA Dynotron. Unfortunately the ones in the pictures here have the battery strap which because of this case doesn't need this rap so we can't see the negative contact.

Then if you decide to service the watch I'm including the technical sheets.  9154 refers you back to the 9150 tech sheet which is why you need both of them. It also noticed that both of them have the exact same negative battery contact. Held in place with the screw that conceivably could be loose. The other problem is when was the last time the watch was last serviced? Watches of this type do not tolerate old lubrication a half be very very free to work otherwise they don't run.

https://electric-watches.co.uk/movement-gallery/

https://electric-watches.co.uk/movement-types/transistorised/

3540_ETA 9154.pdf 2.21 MB · 11 downloads ESA 9150.pdf 1.3 MB · 5 downloads

I've learned in 20 minutes theres a lot more out there which you fellas know about than I could find in three weeks.  IIts a lot to absorb.  Thanks JohnR725!
Mark

12 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Some great help has come through  for you mate. Fingers crossed 🤞 it's a simple fix. But your first job is to get that movement out safely to see what is going on. That might be a task in itself  you're just starting out. I would think your first step is deciding if you do need a crystal lift to do it.Good Bergeons ones are going to run you 100 quid or so , second hand 50 if you are very lucky or cheap Chinese 20 quid and possibly a few others in between. So I'm hoping there's another way for you.

I really appreciate this info.  I'll have to read through those manuals but the gold outside case has no seams in it.  There are areas where the gold has flaked off and it looks like the case and lugs are a plastic molded material that was plated.

The seems to be installed into that plastic case.

So yes, If I attempt the repair myself I should be looking for a a crystal lift.  Preferably an economical one. LOL.

I'm considering maybe I should my a watch repairman who is expereincied it these models.

2 hours ago, MF60 said:

I really appreciate this info.  I'll have to read through those manuals but the gold outside case has no seams in it.  There are areas where the gold has flaked off and it looks like the case and lugs are a plastic molded material that was plated.

So yes, If I attempt the repair myself I should be looking for a a crystal lift.  Preferably an economical one. LOL.

I'm considering maybe I should my a watch repairman who is expereincied it these models.

Some on here may help you decide on the glass lifter. A cheap one may not grip so well. The bergeon are good. I have an old style and it seems to work well. If the crystal has a nice high dome to it then this will improve  your chances of taking it off. Your repair man may do this for you, it will save you the cost of the tool. I'm hoping the job is just a loose contact for you and easily fixed, that would be fantastic. The lifter will be needed though to put it back on. If you had your own lifter, the crystal could be left on it ready to go back onto the watch . Maybe not a good idea leaving it on too long though, keeping the crystal under pressure of the lifter. Keep us informed  of your progress

4 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

Not working. May need a new battery. 🙄

Haha. They all say that. I will be hopeful for you. I'm not keen on cushion case watches, but this has much  more of a space age shape and look to it. It reminds of of Rado and before that Tressa. I really like it, and the tech inside it is fascinating  me, but way beyond my ability if it needed repair

10 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

Not working. May need a new battery. 🙄

I'm fancying something electric now. Omega made some, not for me though. I think I'd want something more low end at the moment, but I have seen some timex on ebay a month or so ago . I'm also going to blame ms60 for starting an electric watch craze.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Haha. They all say that. I will be hopeful for you. I'm not keen on cushion case watches, but this has much  more of a space age shape and look to it. It reminds of of Rado and before that Tressa. I really like it, and the tech inside it is fascinating  me, but way beyond my ability if it needed repair

Yup I keep looking at yours HectorLooi, definitely  Rado-esk. You've done it now, this old astromer wants something space age looking. I blame you as well 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MF60 said:

You're in trouble mate 😠, you've made us all start buying watches 💰. I'm coming after you. Lol

23 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

He has loads, but with different  movements all have the case back off a lot have timex in them ar99.  I'm really tempted, it's very clean but I want to see inside first.

7 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

He has loads, but with different  movements all have the case back off a lot have timex in them ar99.  I'm really tempted, it's very clean but I want to see inside first.

It would be difficult for this watch as it is a front loader.

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

would be difficult for this watch as it is a front loader.

That is the unfortunate problem of any watch that sealed up what exactly is inside the case? Here's of for instance it's an electric watch similar but different. Obviously somebody had a bad watch repair day and you getting a lot of Miscellaneous bits and pieces unknown if you could assemble a running watch or not. I'm probably guessing not because if you could wouldn't be here in bits and pieces

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324769998473

Then of course there's the search of somebody who has a heck of a lot of movements it's in pieces etc. etc. These were very very popular movements at one time.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_dmd=2&_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_ssn=vintagewatchpart&store_cat=0&store_name=vintagewatchpart&_oac=1&_nkw=esa

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

It would be difficult for this watch as it is a front loader.

I don't think that one is HectorLooi. It's a B162  It doesn't  have a separate battery compartment only a recess but with no access looking at it. Are you saying the back doesn't come off at all, or just that the movement fits in from the front.  There is only one he has that is not in the case a k59. I think I saw another somewhere k59 dura-tron. I've asked for the back off anyway, so I'll see what happens there. I dont mind it though  and it's in full working order, dial and hands look spotless. Not as nice as the one you have coming. 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches