21 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Does anyone have any idea what this might be ? It came with a joblot of vintage tools. All it says on it is   The Xray.

20220419_211354.jpg

Hi all, sorry a bit rude there I rushed that post, my daughters dog decided to flip out over Cyril the Squirrel.  Good evening everyone I hope you are all well. Any ideas on this random object that may be watch repair related. 

7 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Could you make a  mainspring with it?  Not sure yet if that's what it was used for, but...*could you* use it for making a coiled mainspring maybe?

I don't think so. I actually have 2 of them. The name " xray " to me  is suggesting improving the view of something that is otherwise obscured or being able to do something blind. I'd love to know what. I'll take some more photos of it with parts of it moved around. Something might just click for somebody.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

25 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I don't think so. I actually have 2 of them. The name " xray " to me  is suggesting improving the view of something that is otherwise obscured or being able to do something blind. I'd love to know what. I'll take some more photos of it with parts of it moved around. Something might just click for somebody.

It has a small hole through the middle of it and the outer plate is divided  up into 100, not in degrees just 100 divisions. The swinging arm locates into the second pin, then both pins screw down to lock the pin in place.

20220420_081629.jpg

20220420_081710.jpg

20220420_081843.jpg

Here's a thought. Could you place a balance wheel/hairspring complete into the middle of it so that the staff goes into the hole and the impulse jewel sits in the radial slot. Use the swinging arm with the two downward pointing prongs to somehow clamp it in place and then you can rotate the H/S collet around the balance staff a measured amount to correct beat error.

I'm not sure how the clamp would work or if you would hsave adequate access to the collet though.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Marc said:

Here's a thought. Could you place a balance wheel/hairspring complete into the middle of it so that the staff goes into the hole and the impulse jewel sits in the radial slot. Use the swinging arm with the two downward pointing prongs to somehow clamp it in place and then you can rotate the H/S collet around the balance staff a measured amount to correct beat error.

I'm not sure how the clamp would work or if you would hsave adequate access to the collet though.

Ah ha. My good friend. I think you might be onto something there.  As the name suggests.  The impulse is difficult  to see and line up on the plate when  surrounded  by the train and pallet. I'll give it some thought later and let you know.  Good show sir 🙂

22 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ah ha. My good friend. I think you might be onto something there.  As the name suggests.  The impulse is difficult  to see and line up on the plate when  surrounded  by the train and pallet. I'll give it some thought later and let you know.  Good show sir 🙂

It's the prongs that are in the way of the balance wheel hairspring and staff. And the roller table is too far up the staff for the impulse to locate in the slot next to the pin. Plus you are taking the cock off needlessly as well. I usually  stick the cock down with rodico and carefully lift the hairspring  out of the way enought to ease a driver into the collet.Hmm 🤔

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

I notice that the example featured here also has a radial arm which rotates around the central axis and has what appears to be a blade like tip. I wonder if this is maybe to poke into the split in the collet so that it can be turned.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Marc said:

I notice that the example featured here also has a radial arm which rotates around the central axis and has what appears to be a blade like tip. I wonder if this is maybe to poke into the split in the collet so that it can be turned.

You might still be right. I'll have a play later. 

7 minutes ago, Marc said:

I'm thinking youre right .Seems of a bit of a long way around a simple job though don't you think ?