Jaeger Le Coulter Atmos Clock

Mark

A family member brought this for me to have a look at today.

He wants to know more about but as you know, I'm not a big clockie.

Can anybody offer any information about this beauty?

Ta!

:)

471fadac76220440257d56e2e269cbf9.jpg

a4fd25df6bedfe45740477070e6708e5.jpg3e0335fb448158b2e2ac9d9905b9a3ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly the same one that I have Mark. They are magnificent things and must be treated very carefully indeed. Do not try to adjust the time unless the escapement is all the way to one side of another, it won't like and damage cold occur. Also please don't try to remove the minute hand woyhout the correct puller. If you intend servicing it, send me a PM first as there are few things I would like to say about it.

We have not decided yet. We may just remove the movement to clean the case and glass, but ultimately it does need to be cleaned and lubricated.

Personally I have never worked on one so I may have to refer him to a pro.

The clock you have in the photos is a Atmos 5 calibre 526 these have the locking lever just under the dial they are a slightly more compact model with a hinged opening front. production ran from 1955 to 1984

Very expensive to work on the expanding bellows of gas. Barometric changes causes mainspring to wind. Not unusual to spend a few hundred dollars just on the bellows

I have not worked on one.

Here is a website of someone who does

http://www.atmos-man.com/

He is also one of the moderators on the ClockSmiths Message Board

Al

I like the inscription... looks like Mr F.S. Phillips joined Mars Limited just as the war was breaking in 1939.

Googling Mars limited brings up mainly foods (Mars bars) but I bet if this was the company he joined, the product line would shortly become vastly different.!

Love the clock.. quality always looks good! I can imagine this clock slowly ticking away a few hundred years after the human race has died out!

Anil

Found this Mark 

http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/GB/en/content/setting-your-atmos-clock

I did notice the escape set up looks very similar to a 400 day clock.The same as the Jaeger they need very little energy to run.But if they are tiniest bit out of beat or bit grubby they just do not run. I would of thought it just need s clean.

Hi,

I have a pdf file of the service and repair manual for  Atmos clocks issued by Jaeger it covers models up to 1952 the calibre 526 as far as the movement goes is slightly simplified but essentialy the same, I can send you a copy of the file if you wish. 

Also if your family member wishes to know more about the Atmos clocks in general then he should seek out a copy of a book by Jean Lebet called "LIVING ON AIR HISTORY OF THE ATMOS CLOCK" it is long out of print but can be found sometimes on ebay, it was published in a limited print run by Jaeger in 1997. I do have a copy of the book it only runs to 88 pages but is a fascinating read.

Wayne

Thanks for the replies. Still not sure if we are going to service this.

Would really love to see that pdf Wayne.

Will contact you shortly geo.

You guys are the best :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...