New to the hobby…

Joe90

Afternoon all, my Names Joe as I’m sure you can guess from my username. 

I’ve always been interested in watches but only recently been able to begin learning and exploring the repair and restoration side of it. I’ve got a few watches in my collection and a few pocket watches. I’m working my way through the issues with the pocket watches and slowly buying the tools and equipment to work on these myself. 

Hope everyone is having a good week. Looking forward to learning from you all. 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joe90 said:

Afternoon all, my Names Joe as I’m sure you can guess from my username. 

I’ve always been interested in watches but only recently been able to begin learning and exploring the repair and restoration side of it. I’ve got a few watches in my collection and a few pocket watches. I’m working my way through the issues with the pocket watches and slowly buying the tools and equipment to work on these myself. 

Hope everyone is having a good week. Looking forward to learning from you all. 👍

I've just started wearing specs, everytime I put them on my missus calls me Joe 90. At least I can see now to throw things at her.😄

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Joe and welcome to the forum, seeing to throw things is different from hitting the object. never mind . Put the Glasses on and read the attached doc you might find it interesting.

TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf 4.2 MB · 0 downloads

Haha. That was me ww, with my silly sense of humour, my wife can duck lucky for her.  There's a lot of new members coming through. Daily. Good for the forum. I might be picking your brains next month if you don't mind. Dial feet repair. I've read some of your posts about making a device from a car battery changer. But I'm sure I will have some obscure question lurking in my brain somewhere 🙂

Thanks for the intro @Joe90 welcome to the WRT forum! I'm also relatively new and I'm in the middle of my first service of an Elgin Grade 313 movement which has been stalled for a while as I was waiting for oil and a mainspring winder. Well, my oil arrived today and luckily I picked up an identical 2nd movement so as I disassemble that one it will help me remember how to re-assemble the first one! I've posted some shots of my watches here.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the welcome everyone.👍

Joe90, yup I’ve had that nickname for a while now amongst other things. 😂

as for waiting on parts, yup, as I’m learning now, it’s a particularly slow, methodical hobby with a lot to learn about each step. I’m dealing with a broken jewel on the balance of one of my pocket watches. It wasn’t running at all, stripped, cleaned oiled and rebuilt and she sprung into life, super happy, then I picked her up and she stopped. Only runs when in a particular position..  after checking through my work and making sure I’ve not damaged any thing in the rebuild I noticed the lower balance jewel is cracked.

So we move to the next step. replacing the jewel. 

Im sure I’ll be asking all sorts of questions soon enough and Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Joe90 said:

Thanks for the welcome everyone.👍

Joe90, yup I’ve had that nickname for a while now amongst other things. 😂

as for waiting on parts, yup, as I’m learning now, it’s a particularly slow, methodical hobby with a lot to learn about each step. I’m dealing with a broken jewel on the balance of one of my pocket watches. It wasn’t running at all, stripped, cleaned oiled and rebuilt and she sprung into life, super happy, then I picked her up and she stopped. Only runs when in a particular position..  after checking through my work and making sure I’ve not damaged any thing in the rebuild I noticed the lower balance jewel is cracked.

So we move to the next step. replacing the jewel. 

Im sure I’ll be asking all sorts of questions soon enough and Thanks in advance. 

Eyup specky.( don't take offence lol. I get called alsort by my missus, water off a ducks back🦆).  Is this a fixed jewel in the main plate ? Put a picture up mate so everyone knows what you are dealing with .

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...