Enfield Grandmother Clock Won't run with Anchor Engaged

ahowe42

Hi everyone. I'm so new to this that I can't even call myself a novice. I've an old grandmother clock - the movement is Enfield. When I got the clock, it never ran consistently It would run for a day before stopping, but the springs always felt really tight, as if fully wound. At one point, the clock fell on it's face, and I can see the spindle that turns the hands is slightly bent. I've removed the movement to try to diagnose the problem with the clock running. When I remove the pendulum attachment and escapement anchor, the main spring unwinds just fine (neither of the chime springs seem to unwind though they are engaged, but this is secondary). I put back the anchor, and the will no longer unwind, though I can't see any binding. The rod holding the anchor attaches at what looks like an adjustment mechanism (picture attached). When I adjust it up, the mechanism runs, but even a slight adjustment so the anchor engages stops it entirely.

Other then the slightly bend spindle, and some issues with the chime hammers, I don't see any damage. Any ideas to get this running again would be greatly appreciated.

IMG20220417191721.jpg

Sounds like what you have is a three train smiths enfield In need of some TLC. from your description the bare minimum i needs is dismantling cleaning and lubricating, the center wheel shaft will require straightening as any misalignment is likly to foul the canon pinion depending on the degree of bend. Now for starters if you are attempting to repair the clock your self,  the first thing is to remove all power from the springs by releasing the clicks and controlling the unwind of the springs (use an unwiding tool). These clocks have a double pawl arrangement for the auto correction should the chimes get out of sync so be care ful.  Take plenty of pictures during the dismantle stages as you will need these on the rebuild. once re built use windles clock oil on all th pivots and there bearing holes.

Having got the clock in bits things to check are the pivots and their corresponding holes for wear (sloppy fit). Pegout all holes with peg wood and polish the pivots. If this is a one off cleaning can be done with abrush and petrol (plenty of ventilation) after first washin and brushing the parts in warm water with a little soap , and drying off.rinsing and brushing with petrol and again drying off carefully and polishing. I think thats enough for starters.  If you need to know anthing else just  post plenty of halp to be had.   Oh and by the way can you post pictures front and back of the movement.  cheers

From the photo which unfortunately doesn't show the whole of the movement. If you have taken out the anchor then reinstalled it you need to make sure it is the correct depth or you can have problems. I can see from the photo it has detachable barrels, you need to let all the springs down and remove all parts above the plate, this will then leave screws to remove and the plate will lift up so the barrels are free. You can check the springs. As this is is very new to you it is not a good start with a chime movement because you have 3 lots to deal with. I don't recommend this but you could clean it as it is but you will not be able to clean it properly, clean it in petrol and dry it with a hair dryer. You will need to oil it get a bottle of Windels clock oil  and oil all the pivots, all the parts chime/strike/going that fit on posts, parts that come into contact with other parts also oil but just a tiny drop, wheels that have pins just a drop on the pins, a drop on the faces of the anchor and a tiny drop on every other tooth of the escape wheel. Oil between the hammers as on the chime side the hammers are on a rod. Make sure the clock is level so it has an even tick  you can adjust this because the brass part that is attached to the anchor should be friction tight. Grandmother clock cases are very unstable what we call top heavy so make sure it is away from where people walk by and try not to have it standing on a carpet. The best thing is to screw it to a wall. I think I have covered this for you. It is not easy when the person has no or very little understanding on how chiming movement works. If you are not sure take photos of what you need help with and I'll help you. 

I've disassembled the movement - took lots of pictures and marked all the gears with different colors to facilitate reassembly. One of the pivots was secured through the back plate with a small washer and s-bent wire. The wire broke leaving a small piece recessed in the hole, and I had to cut the washer to remove it. How / where can I get a replacement washer? Do you guys know what gauge wire Enfield used for the locks? Thanks.

Andrew