Questions about K&D staking set

I recently picked up this staking set on eBay and I'm trying to go through it to organize the stakes. As expected, there have been some replacements over the years.

Two things I'm trying to figure out. First, most of the set is numbered S1, S2, S3...through S104. I can't find those in any of the historical K&D documentation. For example, S1 and S2 are pictured below, but every piece of documentation I've found shows #1 as the set punch, then it goes to #7. I'm curious partly for the history of them, and also so I can have an idea of how everything fits together so I can organize them intelligently. Does anyone have a parts list that includes these numbers?

Second question: the set came with a bunch of short stakes, about 2cm long by 4mm in diameter, along with a holder that's threaded at one end. Are these part of something else entirely? It looks like the holder threads into a handle, kind of like a collet chuck.

Thanks for any help!

20220416_155957.jpg

20220416_160025.jpg

IMG_20220402_181623.jpg

20220402_184033.jpg

kd2.jpg

kd.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi all.  I have just received a similar K&D staking set in the post and wondered if the knurled knob on the top of the frame should move.  If it should, mine is very much stuck.  Just thought I would ask before I force things.   Cheers, John

6 hours ago, JAHM said:

Hi all.  I have just received a similar K&D staking set in the post and wondered if the knurled knob on the top of the frame should move.  If it should, mine is very much stuck.  Just thought I would ask before I force things.   Cheers, John

Does not move on any of my sets...one of which is k&d.

ManSkirtBrew, the S numbering does not match what I have on my sets.  Mine only have numbers for the most part that correspond to the K&D numbering on the K&D set.  Not sure if maybe they used that numbering scheme sometime in the past.

The round face punches you showed correspond to something like 79, 80 in my K&D 18R inverto set.  But regardless of the numbering system as long as you have a good selection of punches and stumps, you will likely find what you are looking for.

Here are a few of links that might be useful or at least interesting.

https://kanddinverto.weebly.com

https://tadelstein.com/Cross-over-punches.pdf

https://tadelstein.com/Staking Tools and How to Use Them 1910 - 163p BW - S.pdf

And a few pages of descriptions of the tools included.

page28.thumb.jpg.70ae7ca081111ab580cdfef317b322b9.jpg

page29.thumb.jpg.e12de68a5392ff64745c0cc6c4c6213b.jpg

page30.thumb.jpg.a5ce8843f03a42cf9d9de733c78bd36e.jpg

Cheers

Terry

• Thanks 1

Maybe they are older than you think! If you go to the curated archive site at https://kanddinverto.weebly.com and look at the earliest catalogs in the References section, the punch numbers are sequential starting at 1 for the set punch and they go forward without any skipping. The codes also differ for the various sets such that some numbering schemes include a leading letter.  I didn't see "S" but complete catalogs for all years aren't available there.

Thanks for the comment LitttleWatchShop regarding the movement of the knurled knob and sleeve at the top of the frame.  Strange that it would be knurled like it was supposed to move. At the moment the stakes won't slide through easily, so a bit of cleaning of the rust pitting is on the cards.  Thanks again, John   

On my Moseley staking set the knurled knob is for adjusting the sliding friction on the stake. It is locked in place by a screw. The idea is that you want the friction adjusted so that the stake will stay in place and not just fall down, but still be loose enough that it doesn't interfere with punching. 

IMG_20220801_081036.jpg

Thanks for the response. That's what I would have expected but the K&D has no locking screw.  At this stage I will clean it up and see what happens. It may just be a force fitted during production and not meant to move.  It works as is, so I won't try forcing things for fear of breaking it.  Thanks again, John

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2022 at 9:57 AM, TimeWerks said:

regardless of the numbering system as long as you have a good selection of punches and stumps, you will likely find what you are looking for

Thank you for the very informative response, Terry! I do have a very fine assortment--probably more than I'll ever need at my hobby level. It was mostly the engineer and historian in me that wants to know where they came from and what I'm missing...so they can be properly organized in the box 😉