K & D Co. Mainspring Winder (Robbins Type) No.126 K & D Co. Mainspring Winder (Robbins Type) No.126

I have this kind, and I use it for most of the antique and vintage mainspring barrels when I need to replace a spring.  It doesn't seem very difficult to use, for me anyway.  I don't know how much you know about them or how often you've used other winders, so I will explain as best I can without intending to insult.
So far, I've had no trouble winding springs in either direction with the 126, but clockwise seems to be more commonly used.  Here I would advise: take pictures and study the barrel and how it is placed in the movement, and which way the arbor would turn - to be sure that you are winding the spring in the correction direction to load into the barrel.
After winding the spring all the way into the *winder's barrel*, it's a simple matter to slowly turn the crank back and allow the spring tension to settle into the winder's barrel.  Then you turn backward a little bit more to try to gently release the spring from the pin on the winder's shaft.  Take care to keep the spring from uncoiling out of the winder.
Then, if you've chosen a winder-barrel just slightly smaller than the watch's mainspring barrel, you line up the spring's hook or anchor-point just ahead of where it would latch onto the barrel's anchor point and, taking your time, get everything in line and gently press the button on the handle to shove the spring in.
Practice makes this procedure easier.  Get an old "parts" movement (a large old pocket watch movement to start) and just practice gently taking the spring out, and winding it back in.  Go slow.  Wear safety glasses.  Take note of the way things go together when you're doing it.  It gets easier.  Don't immediately start with a watch you have to repair. These winders are great once you get the hang of them.  I'm very fond of my own.