Recommendation for lath motor

3 hours ago, jdrichard said:

I have now purchased 2 additional Borel Lathe stands and will now need to find 2 more motors….which I have somewhere:)

Check out my new video

JD are you planning on opening a watch machine museum 😀.  Which is your favourite  lathe to use ?

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

7 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

JD are you planning on opening a watch machine museum 😀.  Which is your favourite  lathe to use ?

I would appreciate any thoughts you have on my set up. A wolf hans 8mm but no countershaft, and a singer motor with a variable speed foot pedal. Velocite 6 for oiling spindle shaft. But I'm yet to strip that down and service as it hadn't been used for ten years.

22 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

It's a little Olympus VT-II, two powers, 1x and 2x; with 10x eyepieces I get 10x and 20x. Sounds like a lot, but at 10x I can see a good 15mm length.

The last one I think is fixed speed, and runs too fast unless you can cut it in half with a countershaft. The others might be ok, but the lack of pulley is a pain- those can be very hard to find with appropriate grooves and hole size, they also don't seem to be "ready to mount", so you'd have some work making a bracket. But the one with speed control included looks like a good deal.

I’ve bought the one with the speed control 🥳

• Like 1

I think it all depends on what you are expecting from it. I would want to know where its manufactured, prob China. The seller has good feedback and had a lot of sales and is at least honest to state about the torque drop off at low speed. Something that isn't desirable. I've just bought a lathe with a sew tric motor  British made. The guy I bought it off said his father used it daily until he retired. My recon it was made in the 60s, so it's done well, it still runs well. All depends how much you are going to use it and how long you expect it to last.

9 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I think it all depends on what you are expecting from it. I would want to know where its manufactured, prob China. The seller has good feedback and had a lot of sales and is at least honest to state about the torque drop off at low speed. Something that isn't desirable. I've just bought a lathe with a sew tric motor  British made. The guy I bought it off said his father used it daily until he retired. My recon it was made in the 60s, so it's done well, it still runs well. All depends how much you are going to use it and how long you expect it to last.

I hear you on the torque drop off at low speed. I'm wondering if using a counter shaft will help with that low speed torque...either way I purchased the thing just to try it out.

7 minutes ago, madchops67 said:

I hear you on the torque drop off at low speed. I'm wondering if using a counter shaft will help with that low speed torque...either way I purchased the thing just to try it out.

I am very green on this subject of lathes having only just got mine. I did see a mention a few days ago about a countershaft improving the torque.  A pro or good amateur will jump in and advice when your question is spotted. Sounds like the sort of thing I would do justvto get up and running. I had a very lucky find.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

4 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hi Daniel, I've not got round to it yet, been a bit busy with other things. It's on my to do list. Not in any rush, it was just to get me having a go at a balance staff or repivot. How's your side it going ?

Still waiting for my new/old motor to arrive. Cleaned the lathe so it’s ready to go 🙂

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

That's good that you know how to handle the tooling though. I've not used a metalworking lathe since school..Will you be turning free hand then or does yours have a cross slide ?

I have a cross slide but not the lantern toolpost, so I’m constantly on eBay looking for one. I’ll have a go at freehand though see if I can get to a good skill level 🙂

5 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

You have a wolf hans don't you, did you say a 6mm?

Yeah 6mm wolf jahn, I was going to get a 8mm but this one had a lot with it. Including the cross slide. I’ve seen the tool posts on eBay before so hopefully won’t have to wait to long before I get one.

On 4/17/2022 at 3:32 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

I would appreciate any thoughts you have on my set up. A wolf hans 8mm but no countershaft, and a singer motor with a variable speed foot pedal. Velocite 6 for oiling spindle shaft. But I'm yet to strip that down and service as it hadn't been used for ten years.

I would definitely add a countershaft to get the Torque at Low Speeds.  I have done this on a number of my setups and its great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

I would definitely add a countershaft to get the Torque at Low Speeds.  I have done this on a number of my setups and its great.

Hi jd. I've yet to strip the spindle down yet so I'm unsure of its performance at low speed. It's an old motor 50 or 60 years. So thank you, I'll start looking around for something, I'll probably  needed a deeper bench to accommodate the countershaft. It's on a borel stand at the moment though so I'll need to cobble another  rig together . I did like the idea of the portability of the borel but if the torque  is low, it may have to go. 

10 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hi jd. I've yet to strip the spindle down yet so I'm unsure of its performance at low speed. It's an old motor 50 or 60 years. So thank you, I'll start looking around for something, I'll probably  needed a deeper bench to accommodate the countershaft. It's on a borel stand at the moment though so I'll need to cobble another  rig together . I did like the idea of the portability of the borel but if the torque  is low, it may have to go. 

My motor should be arriving tomorrow so I’ll work out if I need a countershaft. Do you have a motor?