Mido crystal lift inserts for broader application

I bought this Mido wrench to address one watch in the LWS.  Got it from Ofrei for a very good price.  But, I want to use it on other watches--particularly ones that are front-loaders and/or armored crystals.

So, I decided to 3D print some inserts with different dimensions to address this.  I tested it on a Stellaris watch I had that is an armored front-loader.  It worked!

I show the wrench, a metal insert that came with the wrench, and the black inserts I printed.

2022-04-12 08_51_39-20220412_084658.jpg ‎- Photos.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GuyMontag said:

Nice! Are the 3D printers expensive?

I have a Stellaris with a similar case and in my notes is says, "Crystal press, had to use a LOT of force" 😄

img000002a4.thumb.jpg.9ef3efb28bc340457a518df4aecc0337.jpg

No, they can be had for well under $1000.  I only use my Mido tool to remove the crystal.  I use my BB Crystal press to put the crystal back on.  AND!!!  I printed a special base for my crystal press that is specially fitted to the back of the Stellaris.  The back is not planar because of the battery compartment.

I have two of these watches.  They are a bit of a pain to regulate because, you cannot regulate while in the case, thus you have to remove the crystal, remove the stem, remove the movement.  Then put it on the timer and regulate.

2022-04-12 10_37_14-FreeCAD 0.19.png

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I picked up one of these Mido tools hoping to use it on this Longines but without success. The crystal while in the case measures 29.9 mm so I tried the 30 mm die but when I squeeze the wrench it doesn't quite grip the crystal, it feels like it may be riding up the side of the crystal. I'm considering trying a custom sized 3D printed die but I don't have the skill to design it from scratch, would you happen to have a .STL file you could share that I could then modify?

Longines.jpg

7 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

I picked up one of these Mido tools hoping to use it on this Longines but without success. The crystal while in the case measures 29.9 mm so I tried the 30 mm die but when I squeeze the wrench it doesn't quite grip the crystal, it feels like it may be riding up the side of the crystal. I'm considering trying a custom sized 3D printed die but I don't have the skill to design it from scratch, would you happen to have a .STL file you could share that I could then modify?

Longines.jpg

Sure.  Do you have a 3D printer?  If not, I can print a few with slightly different sizes and drop them in the mail to you.

• 6 months later...
On 4/12/2022 at 9:27 AM, GuyMontag said:

Nice! Are the 3D printers expensive?

I have a Stellaris with a similar case and in my notes is says, "Crystal lift, had to use a LOT of force" 😄

img000002a4.thumb.jpg.9ef3efb28bc340457a518df4aecc0337.jpg

You can get a good printer for around $200 US.  I got my son an Ender 3 NEO for Christmas and he was able to get up and printing with it pretty fast.  I have an Ender 3 Pro with upgrades I added to it and it has been a good printer.  The NEO comes with those upgrades already added.  I get filament for around $20 US per kg spool.  3D printers are very handy to have.  I've printed up all sorts of things for my garage, workshop, hobby bench, wife's craft area, and so on.  That includes several things for this hobby. 

• Like 3