Skill-less in Seattle?

Hello all!  Newbie here!  I've always been interested in watch repair but didn't think I could handle the small parts with my aging eyes.  I've done a bunch of SMT electronics work this last year and it's gone great so hopefully the tiny parts in watches wont be an issue.  Am starting off with a tool kit and class from TimeZone and if all goes well, will probably enroll in the nightly program at the Norwest School of Horology in the fall.  Excited to dig into the forums!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the introduction and welcome to WRT @ryanscott6 ! 

I'm also pretty new to all of this. At 68 and following a stroke that clobbered my left eye a year ago, I was also worried that my eyesight wouldn't be good enough. It seems that it's fine - as others here have pointed out, you're usually looking through a loupe one-eyed anyway.

I'm stalled partially through my first watch movement restore due to waiting on oils and tools (all of which should be on their way).

Let us know what your first project is and don't be a stranger 🙂

• Like 1

hiya from the UK , I am a fellow noob, having lots of fun (and occasional frustration) with a LOT of help from the guys on here. I seem to be focusing on Seiko watches as they are affordable, just got an electronic microscope and in ten mins when I have drank this tea, I'm about to have a crack at cleaning my first shock setting jewels. wish me luck! 

31 minutes ago, dismaldunc said:

. I seem to be focusing on Seiko watches as they are affordable, just got an electronic microscope and in ten mins when I have drank this tea, I'm about to have a crack at cleaning my first shock setting jewels. 

No microscope is needed to work on diafix / diashock shock settings, just be aware that if you remove the small ones on the the train it will be very difficult to refit them as you will need to adapt a tool for that.