A Luch 2209 for my friends birthday

On 4/10/2022 at 1:55 PM, berlintime said:

Repaired this old Luch 2209 for a friends birthday because he gifted me my very first book about watchmaking. The reading has payed off I would say hehe. The full walkthough will be posted in the appropriate forum soon.DSC06749.thumb.JPG.bfbc89e05d8a777a269f644b65f5a6bb.JPG

DSC06754.thumb.JPG.0fc6892bf3f4b62e4d6bed4d5b8c2f19.JPG

DSC06745.thumb.JPG.7e22809f5d5f1762f4f51a40194ea591.JPG

Hi. Where is this made ? The movement looks not dissimilar to my first restoration, my grandfather's 60 year old sekonda. A Raketa 2609h. Only one crown wheel though, what is going on with the 3 ?

On 4/12/2022 at 7:24 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hi. Where is this made ? The movement looks not dissimilar to my first restoration, my grandfather's 60 year old sekonda. A Raketa 2609h. Only one crown wheel though, what is going on with the 3 ?

Hey! Taking the companys logo into account I would say that this watch was made in Minsk between 1975 and 1980. And yeah maybe it just adds more.. longevity to the windup system? Or provides a smoother/more efficient wind up experience? Not sure to be honest but im sure that the soviet designers had something in mind!

Im pretty sure that some later Raketa ( and akso sekonda) watches also used the 2209 Movementes in some of their watches, I guess there was some level of partnership and borrowing in designs between soviet watch companies. 

10 minutes ago, berlintime said:

Hey! Taking the companys logo into account I would say that this watch was made in Minsk between 1975 and 1980. And yeah maybe it just adds more.. longevity to the windup system? Or provides a smoother/more efficient wind up experience? Not sure to be honest but im sure that the soviet designers had something in mind!

Im pretty sure that some later Raketa ( and akso sekonda) watches also used the 2209 Movementes in some of their watches, I guess there was some level of partnership and borrowing in designs between soviet watch companies. 

Ah ha thank you for the insight. My treasured Sekonda is a Raketa 2609ha. I can't figure out why time only watches are made so complicated.  I recently restored a Movado that was a dream to service, had very few parts by comparison, they were solid and strong  # Arny style #. The setting lever had enough material on it to make a 007 Aston Martin corgi car including the ejector seat and bonnet  rockets. Why didn't manufacturers  follow similar mechanical principles and designs.

1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ah ha thank you for the insight. My treasured Sekonda is a Raketa 2609ha. I can't figure out why time only watches are made so complicated.  I recently restored a Movado that was a dream to service, had very few parts by comparison, they were solid and strong  # Arny style #. The setting lever had enough material on it to make a 007 Aston Martin corgi car including the ejector seat and bonnet  rockets. Why didn't manufacturers  follow similar mechanical principles and designs.

I can't quite see the financial cost difference for the manufacturer, between making a shed load of cheap flimsy parts for a watch against half as many chunky reliable  parts. I suppose if you sell a cheap watch that is ok and affordable and does the job hopefully you can sell another one when it breaks. But if you are selling a good quality watch that lasts a lifetime you might only ever sell that same person just that one that they initially  bought. I might have this wrong and probably  have , occasionally I have some sound logic. It does happen not often and when it does I have to make the most of it, and then I have to go lay down because my head is very sore

• Like 1