Just an introduction

Hi . I'd  just like to politely introduce myself if I may. My name is Rich, I live in Yorkshire UK, Middle aged 2 left home children and good wife so all is great. 35 years as Joiner by trade. Recently became addicted to watch repair while attempting  to fix acquired grandfather's watch. Surprised  myself by fixing a very battered non working Russian Sekonda 50 years of not working. Very emotional  moment I can tell you. This was about six months ago, and I have now disappeared down the rabbit hole of watch repair never to be seen again. Absolutely  love collecting non working watches, even more so making them tick again. As with everything  I do, I jump in feet first and have to learn everything  at once. I also love collecting all the tools. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Welcome to the forum Rich,  which part of the onl county do liv e.. Attached a couple of documents to get you further down the hole. Ex Tadcaster/York,Leeds man. 

1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist (2) (1).pdf 371.51 kB · 0 downloads TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf 4.2 MB · 0 downloads

Eyup watchweasol How's you, thanks for welcome. I'm from Hull at the far east end of the m62, just boarding civilisation lol, I jest its ok.  I was only in Leeds last Sunday, picking up a cracking little lathe off of ebay, great bargain.  I think the village was called Adel, some lovely properties.

Just now, Neverenoughwatches said:

Eyup watchweasol How's you, thanks for welcome. I'm from Hull at the far east end of the m62, just boarding civilisation lol, I jest its ok.  I was only in Leeds last Sunday, picking up a cracking little lathe off of ebay, great bargain.  I think the village was called Adel, some lovely properties.

I will have a look later at the files you sent me, I'm a big tool gadget geek. many thanks

1 hour ago, grsnovi said:

Thanks for the intro @Neverenoughwatches welcome to the WRT forum! I'm also relatively new and I'm in the middle of my first service of an Elgin Grade 313 movement which is stalled at the moment as I wait on deliveries.

Thanks for the welcome Grsnovi. Nice to have some replies as a newbie on here. Appreciate  the info of wristwatch revival. I subscribed and have been watching Marshall for around six months now. Nice guy and knowledgeable even though relatively new to watch repair as I understand. Explains things very well. Hes also an Internet pupil of the well respected  Mark Lovack who is definitely  worth a look at Watch repair channel. I would also recommend Mike of my retro  watches and Joe at Nekkid watchmaker a very funny Asian lad with a ton of experience and superb at restoring old timepieces.

Hi Neverenough.  Brother in Hull (Hessle road).  Adel, Know it well The misses is a Leeds Lass and I worked there for 7 years. Worked Hull as well East yorks motors, Parishes and the BP terminal at Heddon.  Did you pay top price for the Lathe its an expensiv area Adel.  Any queries try to supply oictures to illustrate the problem , it makes life that bit easier.     cheers.

Hiya. Hessle Road changed very little in last 20 years. Good cheap shopping area. I live in Cottingham next to Hull. BP one of the few decent places left to work in my area. Are you an engineer mechanical chemical ? Adel yes a nice area, but the lathe was a lucky ebay find photos weren't great and had low interest  so I took a punt and won at 185.00. Collected it from a nice chap who's father and grandfather were both retired  watch repairers. He had loads of decent gear I just didn't have the time to go through it all. Turned out to be a nice wolf hans Co. In good nick. Lathe, motor, varible speed foot pedal around 40 split collects, pivot polishing attachment, indexer and a load of polishing heads and grinding bits and pieces. I do need to strip down the spindle it was bone dry.

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

...and Joe at Nekkid watchmaker a very funny Asian lad...

I don't remember when I started watching Wristwatch Revival but I agree that Joe at Nekkid Watchmaker is fun. It's interesting to me to see the difference between Marshall and Joe regarding what they'll do with case restores. Joe does amazing case work!

36 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

I don't remember when I started watching Wristwatch Revival but I agree that Joe at Nekkid Watchmaker is fun. It's interesting to me to see the difference between Marshall and Joe regarding what they'll do with case restores. Joe does amazing case work!

Joe has a massive following mostly due to his jovial approach  and expertise.  They are relatively  chalk and cheese. Restoration Is Joe's profession, every day is watch a experience, Marshall is as far as I know and he says is still an amateur  be it an extremely  good one. I'm sure he wouldn't mind me suggesting quite different  skill levels. But both bring great things to the watch world table.

13 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Was a compter engineer for years,  Aye best to service the lathe if its been stored, have you any pics.

Hi WW. I'm out at the missus's place at the mo and I don't have any on my phone. I will post some up tomorrow though.   I could actually do with some help tbh. The spindle was  bone dry and in my haste to play I installed 3 in 1 oil to at least give it some lubrication. Please don't judge, my nature is to get on with things.  I then relented stepped away left it alone and ordered some Mobil velocite  6 which arrived this morning. My problem I think is going to be removing the spindle which seems really tight. I don't want to ruin my treasure trove quite so soon.

2 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hi WW. I'm out at the missus's place at the mo and I don't have any on my phone. I will post some up tomorrow though.   I could actually do with some help tbh. The spindle was  bone dry and in my haste to play I installed 3 in 1 oil to at least give it some lubrication. Please don't judge, my nature is to get on with things.  I then relented stepped away left it alone and ordered some Mobil velocite  6 which arrived this morning. My problem I think is going to be removing the spindle which seems really tight. I don't want to ruin my treasure trove quite so soon.

Sorry with slow replies, I'm having a job navigating the forum. Thanks for the attachments btw WW. I've learnt pretty fast, as a kid I always fixed my own cars and have a good logical mind, I make mistakes and learn by them. My office was turned into a small workshop this Xmas and grows each week with tool acquires. Really only lacking in expensive gadgety  things.

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

Thanks oldhippy. I look forward to it also. So nice to converse with folk about my passion on my level. I'm afraid I just bore my family and friends when I talk about it, so I stopped. I have read some of your posts and gather you are more than an amateur. 

Yes im sure he's mentioned his day job and frequently  states that he's an amateur repairer.  Never the less I watch him often. He has a good attitude to his hobby and great composure when things don't go well. He seems like a genuine sort of guy. When you have a spare ten mins check out a guy on youtube called Mike at my retro watches. A different  kettle of fish altogether. Makes plenty  of mistakes, sometimes  biggies, doesn't edit out his cock ups. You see it exactly  as it happens, he gets his words all muddled sometimes, but a lovely genuine bloke. I might bend your ear at some point, I'd love a nice old American watch, I missed out on a little Elgin i think it was the other day on Ebay, went for around 30 pound so 40 Dollars I guess. I forgot to watch it to the end 😞

21 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

...I'd love a nice old American watch, I missed out on a little Elgin...

So far I've only gotten un-cased movements. I have a 2nd 313 arriving this week as well as a grade 409 that is considerably smaller than he 313. I suspect there is quite a lot of case cannibalization taking place simply for the metals.

1 hour ago, grsnovi said:

So far I've only gotten un-cased movements. I have a 2nd 313 arriving this week as well as a grade 409 that is considerably smaller than he 313. I suspect there is quite a lot of case cannibalization taking place simply for the metals.

Hi grsnovi. Are you planning on casing up your movements or are you using these for practise ? Is this a new hobby you've taken up recently ?

On 4/8/2022 at 10:15 PM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Sorry with slow replies, I'm having a job navigating the forum. Thanks for the attachments btw WW. I've learnt pretty fast, as a kid I always fixed my own cars and have a good logical mind, I make mistakes and learn by them. My office was turned into a small workshop this Xmas and grows each week with tool acquires. Really only lacking in expensive gadgety  things.

Good morning Watchweasol,  I hope you are having a good day. Here are a few pics of the lathe and accessories for it that I collected  from Leeds. Any advice you can give me for stripping down the spindle would be really appreciated. There was some chatter from the spindle within its bearings which made it sound bone dry so in my haste to have a little play and see it run without any damage  happening I topped it up with 3 in 1 oil. It took plenty, the chatter stopped but I decided not to risk continuing to run it until I got something more appropriate  oil. A little research later and I had Mobil Velocite 6 ordered. I'm sure no harm done as I would have been stripping it down anyway. I have got no further than removing the oil hole covers and the back nut on the rear end of the spindle. It seems really tight and I dont want to force it. Any advice at all would be great. Thanks

Just now, Neverenoughwatches said:

Good morning Watchweasol,  I hope you are having a good day. Here are a few pics of the lathe and accessories for it that I collected  from Leeds. Any advice you can give me for stripping down the spindle would be really appreciated. There was some chatter from the spindle within its bearings which made it sound bone dry so in my haste to have a little play and see it run without any damage  happening I topped it up with 3 in 1 oil. It took plenty, the chatter stopped but I decided not to risk continuing to run it until I got something more appropriate  oil. A little research later and I had Mobil Velocite 6 ordered. I'm sure no harm done as I would have been stripping it down anyway. I have got no further than removing the oil hole covers and the back nut on the rear end of the spindle. It seems really tight and I dont want to force it. Any advice at all would be great. Thanks

20220411_111447.jpg

20220411_111431.jpg

20220411_111353.jpg

20220411_111331.jpg