Certina DS2 parts

strrb

Hi to all Watch Repair Talkers.

I am a newbe! possible watch collector by default. Allow me to explain: I recently became a custodian of approx. 20 gents & 5 ladies watches. One of which is a Tissot Martini Racing chronometer, 1992 vintage. The back has a red hard plastic seal & is loose, not fitting properly. I fitted a battery, but is not working. The leather strap has had its day & needs replacing, but only if I can get watch working. The strap has unusual connections, ie: one narrow 2 lug 13.3mm width, the other like a Cartier single lug 12:7mm fitting.

Will continue later with the other watches.

Roy

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the intro @strrb, welcome to the WRT forum! I'm also relatively new and I'm in the middle of my first service of an Elgin Grade 313 movement.

I wonder if the plastic back was original on that watch. When I do an image search I only see metal backs and it seems that sometimes that case is involved in closing the circuit?

I suppose it's also possible that somebody already opened it up thinking it needed a battery and it had stopped due to needing a cleaning/lubrication.

That strap is unique - I hope you find one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the welcome. About the Tissot, a bit of misunderstanding here. I never suggested it had a plastic back. The back is stainless steel like most watches. It has a red hard plastic sealing ring, a bit like an O ring but a different profile. I assume the SS back needs to be pressed in after fitting a battery.The battery is held in place by a brass clamp with 2 screws, possibly to ensure a completed circuit . 
As for the strap yes it is unique. Have contacted Tissot but replacement leather straps are no longer available. If you google this model, you will notice there are 2 lugs on 1 end, & 1 central lug on the other. If I can get this watch working, I will attempt to have a suitable set made. 
Roy

• 2 weeks later...

When I first posted about the Tissot, I somehow titled the post Certina DS2 parts. So I have put the Tissot aside for the time being. So I am after a main plate for a DS2 manual wind, 25-66, calibre, ano day or date. My clock maker suggested I look for a complete watch, or movement that is not working, for parts. I found one on EBay, but did not seem to have the part needed.  Should anyone hear of know of any Certina parts, I would be extremely grateful. Roy