Best Bodge Ever!!!!

clockboy

I was asked to looks at a small carriage clock that was not working. The customer said that her husbands friend (who fixes clocks!!!) had tried to fix it but said it was too worn to be repaired. I noticed before the strip down that the minute hand was not turning as it should. Then I found this, the minute hand hole was slightly too large & had been secured with Rodico.

See pics. 

post-234-0-93285500-1432209951_thumb.jpg

This a tool I use sometimes to close clock hands. It now fits correctly without any need for Rodico

post-234-0-07600100-1432210058_thumb.jpg

I will show other pics of the strip & assembly as I suspect other gremlins are waiting for me but just could not wait to show this.

I have a similar gadget but on a smaller scale that had me puzzled for a while. It came in a job lot of bits and bobs from an old watchmakers estate and I couldn't figure out what it was for. However, in the same job lot I found a copy of the "wide awake catalogue", a supply house catalogue from the mid 1920's (I think). Browsing through it one evening there it was, my mystery tool, and it turned out to be for tightening hair spring collets. It's nice to see your larger scale version in use CB.

Incidentally, the "Wide Awake Catalogue" has since come in incredibly handy for identifying old tooling. If anyone has any mystery items that need a little light shed on them just post a picture, I'll see if I can find it. 

• Like 1

There is a certain satisfaction to finding a clock or watch that has been cowboy'd, and being able to reverse the poor work and make a part (more or less) how it should be through good workmanship.

Edited by Ishima

Found another fault (bodge) will post when time.

I like little tools :D

PS The tool I purchased with a job lot of vintage watch makers tools a few years ago. It is very handy for giving hairspring collets a bit of a squeeze.

I posted a separate post (another senior moment) with the finished job. Some of the pics are poor though. The point being I could not have fixed this clock without the aid of a lathe.

Also very often my Jacot tool is to small for clock pivots so have to use my lathe for polishing/burnishing.

• Like 1