Hello all 

So after a week of rest ( recommended by my Doctor ) I thought I would watch some video's 

But with money tight after buying oils and fixodrop I am trying to talk my self out of the need in investing in a watchtimer machine well I had almost did it 'Talked my self out of it'. But after watching a lot of video's I got intrigued about lift angle's and how to find them and ran into a video doing and watchtimer machine v's phone app then the light bulb moment hit me yep I really need one esp. if I want to service my watches correctly it's going to be invaluable.

as I said "I've been watching lots of video's" and I must admit I could watch mark all day long.

what other invaluable machines will I need to service my watches ?

on my list is the watchtimer and a new sonic cleaner machine as my old one has a error( HI ) and I will not run I found this out today  poobags

I don't get my watches wet so a water tester is on the cards but not needed yet 

thank you for looking

The problem with repairing/servicing watches is  that you always need this tool or that tool and if not controlled will empty your wallet quickly and you become a toolaholic. Oils etc cost a fair bit as you have found out . thing is to buy good quality (not always the most expensive) and look after them.  Cheers

• Like 1

I think is good to put all this money talk in context with figures, GBP since the OP is from there.

• Basic tools, not considering the most important ever which is setting up work posture, £100 will be plenty. In a pinch, even 50 will do.
  • Oil and greases, one can do with two or three, so maybe £25. Plus 10 for petroleum ether and isopropyl alcohol.
  • Timegrapher, unfortunately if someone is serious, that is needed since day 1 because as a  beginner one can't really tell by eye and sounds if a mov.t is running good, unlike it was done in the good old times. These are increased in price and are now less than £150 for a basic model 1000.

All the other stuff, microscope, washing machine, pressure tester, expensive opening and closing tools, etc, these are not needed for a beginner, until he has says 20 successful servicings and restorations under his belt and is willing to take up the game a notch. Means you should be to aiming to learn (mainly, how to not break or loose) , develop dexterity which in turn will boot self-confidence. As opposed to collecting tools which will be used little, take up space, and can be replaced with some ingenuity. Top video training as in  Mark Lovick's is great, but not free, so let's leave that out of the addition (addiction ?) as one will make do with what's free on YT, which is a whole lot really.

Total, we're around £300. I understand that not everyone can readily afford that, but compare to any other hobby or even going 2 nights out of town, doesn't seem that much really. Again, the line is drawn between 'being and doing' one side, to 'owning for the sake of'.

• Like 1

There are free apps and software that function as a timegrapher.  Maybe not equal to a Witschi, but I think at least as good as a basic model 1000 Weishi.  A microphone is very handy, vs a laptop or phone built in microphone, but a functional one can be had few just a few dollars if not already owned.

2 hours ago, xyzzy said:

There are free apps and software that function as a timegrapher. 

I do not recommend that unless one is willing to buy a proper orientable, holdng and amplifiied microphone, and make the needed power adapter cable. It makes all the difference in usability but the cost of that is just a bit less than a complete timegrapher unit.