Two Unusual Clocks

clockboy

Last night arrived two unusual clocks for repair/service. The first one is a bit unusual but the second one is a real strange one that I have never seen before & should imagine is quite rare.

The first one is a mantle clock with a typical French striking movement. What is a bit unusual is the case is not the usual slate/marble but wood. Also the decretive fretting is metal attached to the case. It is a mile out of beat & the metal fretting on the front has been damaged. see pics.

post-234-0-15997400-1432124809_thumb.jpg

French Movement

post-234-0-74732600-1432124838_thumb.jpg

Damaged part

post-234-0-51081000-1432124863_thumb.jpg

HOWEVER The second clock is a real strange one it is a gravity clock. If my research is correct there is no mainspring or winding it is just the weight of the clock traveling down a geared post that drives it. It is a non runner and I have already told the customer that if anything is broken or missing most likey they will have to be made. The clock is quite rare worth approx. @250. See Pics

The glass front also acts as the dial  with numbers painted onto it in reverse.

post-234-0-53176100-1432125130_thumb.jpg

Dead beat escapement with pendulum in the front

post-234-0-31698200-1432125154_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this pic shows the gearing it travels down & notice the lead attached to the bottom of the clock to add weight

post-234-0-76262000-1432125177_thumb.jpg

Time is going to be an issue with these but will keep you guys if interested updated

Hi Guys,

A little story about a gravity clock I repaired recently.

A fellow clockmaker from Tiffanies had a gravity clock on his bench for month's. The problem was that it failed intermittently, no particular time or position on the gear bar. While it worked, it had lots of pendulum overswing, until it stopped, my friend bushed everything and asked if I would try to fix it before it found a home in the parking lot.

I suspected the gear bar assembly since my friend did beautiful bushing work.

In order to test the gear bar, I disabled the click so I could run the movement up and down the bar to see if it would bind up, it did but not always in the same place. I looked in the movement and there were two large round brass guides that slid on the back of the gear bar, they both had developed flat spots where they rubbed on the bar. I rotated the guides about 15 degree's to expose an unused curved area, readjusted clearance as well. Gear Bar and guides must be kept dry.

Took a 1/2 hour to repair and now the customer is very happy with it.

My friend owes me a beer

Al Takatsch

• Like 2