Case Press And Case Opener

matabog

Normal daily uses is lever press for me. I use nylon dies on the front case and aluminium dies on the case back. If the watch case is too tight to close then I'll use aluminium/brass dies on the front too. Nylon dies is softer therefore it absorb the pressing pressure.

If the case still cannot close by the lever press then I'll switch to screw down using aluminium/brass dies. Never have a case too tight to close with the screw down in my work.

Like Bob said lever press is faster and convenient to use, and I prefer it as I replace dozen of watch batteries daily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'd like to very much advocate the horotec screw down press, I've used dozen of case back presses and the horotec one is definitely the all around best. I've been using one multiple times every (work) day for the last 3 years, really no wear or tear, or bowing to speak of.

It simply works better than anything else I've so far even among other screw down case presses, it could be argued that the lever is 'quicker' but I disagree, there's nothing quick about having to make failed attempts at securing a case back before switching to the case press you could have started with. (though that is slightly unfair as I'm comparing a well engineered swiss screw press with the cheap chinese lever press that I happen to have at work)

My only real criticism is you can't seem to get replacement dies for the horotec presses. (please correct me if I'm wrong I'd love to get some)

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 2

I have a more bog standard case back press but it has not as yet let me down. 

I put felt on the bottom as it weighs quite heavy and I did not fancy screwing it down on my desk using the corner holes.  It accepts the standard dies metal as well but I generally use nylon.

Currently £19.99 with free postage on one part of the Bay and £40.00 on another part.  The overhead bracing stops the "Bowing or bending".  Bearing in mind that I only repair and build for fun, if I was a professional in business I would probably get better but it suits my purposed for now.

post-197-0-15422500-1457002283_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Vic

Currently £19.99 with free postage on one part of the Bay and £40.00 on another part.  The overhead bracing stops the "Bowing or bending".  Bearing in mind that I only repair and build for fun, if I was a professional in business I would probably get better but it suits my purposed for now.

That's a good one because it's stable by design with two pillars aligned to the center, unlike the supercheap one I got before the heavy one I posted above

• 6 years later...

Anyone know where to get the convex domed dies so that these types of presses can be used to fit acrylic crystals. The press uses dome so that when you screw down on the crystal arches and the OD is reduced slightly and then the case can be slipped/snapped over the crystal from below. I have seen this die on Robur presses, but not supplied with the generic presses, or available as a separate purchase.

Edited by Waggy
Grammar

2 hours ago, Waggy said:

Anyone know where to get the convex domed dies so that these types of presses can be used to fit acrylic crystals. The press uses dome so that when you screw down on the crystal arches and the OD is reduced slightly and then the case can be slipped/snapped over the crystal from below. I have seen this die on Robur presses, but not supplied with the generic presses, or available as a separate purchase.

Cousinsuk, search for “Bakelite “ you can order them individually 

Tom

• Thanks 1

Just now, Waggy said:

Any recommendations for size(s), mainly do men's watches

Sorry, pretty much a beginner. I have only done minor things so far like building watches from parts and fixing keyless works, bracelets etc.

Tom