What tools do I need to remove the back of this hugo boss watch and replace the strap?

Hi It looks like a snap on case from the images provided. Look round the edge of the case for a notch for the case knife. It also looks as if the movement will be removed through the front (dial side) but in order to do that remove the back and re post pictures of the movement so we can see what we are dealing with.   Tools required are  a case back knife and a sharp edge blade . ie safty razor to open the gap for the knife. remember to wear a safty glove on the hand holding the movemrnt.

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi It looks like a snap on case from the images provided. Look round the edge of the case for a notch for the case knife. It also looks as if the movement will be removed through the front (dial side) but in order to do that remove the back and re post pictures of the movement so we can see what we are dealing with.   Tools required are  a case back knife and a sharp edge blade . ie safty razor to open the gap for the knife. remember to wear a safty glove on the hand holding the movemrnt.

It does have a notch, maybe didn't show too well in the pictures. Time to get ordering.

I might want to open front to take out the movement since there is some debris on the dial I want to clean out.

Will be updating as I go. Thank you! Now I know it is not a screw back.

To take the back off a simple case knife should do the trick, and to remove the strap a basic springbar tool is all you need.

Both tools can be found for very little money at all the usual outlets or for a lot of money if you want tools that are claimed to be Swiss made.

21 hours ago, deployed said:

I do not mind getting some tools myself to to this.

21 hours ago, deployed said:

I would like to know where to buy a replacement back cover and straps, as they are pretty worn out.

There are no spare parts available for fashion watches. Only generic parts that fit.

18 minutes ago, jdm said:

There are no spare parts available for fashion watches. Only generic parts that fit.

I just looked at the thread, op did not provide the link for where to buy the japanese style case openers.

Are they just as versatile as the bergeon ones?

52 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Most generic case tools work satisfactorily, there is little need to be buying expensive kit at this point. Once you have the back off you will find a miyota, hattori movement if yous is faulty replacements are usually available.

Yes, so if I am not to but the bergeon, would you recommend me a set of economic case opening tools to buy?

Edited by deployed

20 minutes ago, jdm said:

Have a read below:

So I went to ebay and found these two things:

1. https://www.ebay.com/itm/133423157205

2. https://www.ebay.com/itm/384272199359

Hopefully they are good enough.

Otherwise I can always get the bergeon spring bar tool (if necessary):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325096011934

Edited by deployed

So an update, I received my case knife tool, but sadly the gap is just too small for my case knife to fit, also tried to use a pocket knife and screw driver, the pocket knife was scratched and the case got scratched, and the screw driver was bent (it is a cheap one).

In the end, I think I will not be able to open it, thus off to someone else it goes!

1 hour ago, deployed said:

the gap is just too small for my case knife to fit.

You need to sharpen the knife, that is normal. And you need a good holder. In general, the better the tools the easier the job, although somee casebacks are annoyingly stubborn.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...