Replace or repair

Tiny

So I have a Fossil watch that I've had for years, bought in the USA.

Now this watch has a cracked glass that I don't know whether to replace or repair I do believe the glass is mineral. So yesterday I bought a white version of the same watch to repair (practice on) with the Idea of giving it to my son as he like's the black version of this watch.

I do have a question or two 

How do I remove the glass, as you can see it is a domed shape and the bezel (I think) that is what the outer ring around the glass is called.

second question

where do I get a repair epoxy kit from and what is the best.

Just out of interest is this the tool required to remove the glass https://www.amazon.co.uk/Opener-Remover-Repairing-Watchmaker-Removal/dp/B07Q8JTZQM/ref=rvi_12/258-7200769-0422933?pd_rd_w=VeYul&pf_rd_p=febd3956-4d60-4288-b8f2-cb468eb6674d&pf_rd_r=SMTV1AJCB712T4PSKAS8&pd_rd_r=f03a65bc-5611-4b8a-a520-4beb588351ab&pd_rd_wg=BKFao&pd_rd_i=B07Q8JTZQM&psc=1

or this one 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Plastic-Crystal-Glasses-Remover/dp/B09MW3LCMD/ref=rvi_18/258-7200769-0422933?pd_rd_w=YWUSg&pf_rd_p=febd3956-4d60-4288-b8f2-cb468eb6674d&pf_rd_r=PYNXSV334XR0DAPKYAEY&pd_rd_r=2cd50d01-f95f-47f0-bc2c-02f49cf90a95&pd_rd_wg=2uMDg&pd_rd_i=B09MW3LCMD&psc=1

thank you

Fossil.jpg

fossil-grant-automatic-black-skeleton-dial-mens-watch-me3055.jpg

That first tool is better suited to removing bezels or backs.  And not by much.  The crystal itself would still need to be taken out.
That second tool is a (lower priced) crystal lift.  It is used for domed plastic crystals that need to be compressed all around their edge to be fitted into their case.  Yours is not that kind.
As jdrichard said, these tools won't do what you need.  But once the movement is out, you can push out the crystal from the inside.  I wear nitrile gloves when I do that; I've had them crack sometimes.
Then, the tool that jdrichard describes, the crystal press, uses plastic dies to press the crystal into the case.  Measure the old crystal carefully (if it comes out whole) with a digital caliper and get that exact diameter, and thickness.

• Like 2

Save the dial plate. 

Uncase the movement with dial and hands attached, the glass then can be pushed out (by your thumb) from inside of the case. 

Make as many mistakes as you like when installing the glass without damage to the dial and movement.🤠

Epoxy five will do.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Morning all. well all finished now both watches have had new crystal glass fitted. the black one I washed in the sonic cleaner yesterday, I wasn't expecting the amount of dirt that came of it, I even found a shell of a ladybird or something floating in the cleaning solution.  

20220507_132729.thumb.jpg.42f69d97c18fc17f44e3d2cb2bc916ff.jpg

but thinking about it I really think I bought a polish for metal while I was at a flea market some time but anyway I didn't except the amount of dirt. The white face watch was bought on ebay just to practice on before I opened up the black one.

20220507_132755.thumb.jpg.28751b32880b2574efb25781f26b604b.jpg

This was the best move I ever made because on removing the stem I didn't pull it to time setting so I had to strip down face side to address the reason it wouldn't accept the stem. I'm really pleased to say that both watch are all cleaned and back together.

I bought the black faced fossil while on holiday well the wife bought it for me so it will always have a special place in my heart. 

• Like 5

On 2/25/2022 at 11:36 AM, Tiny said:

So I have a Fossil watch that I've had for years, bought in the USA.

Now this watch has a cracked glass that I don't know whether to replace or repair I do believe the glass is mineral. So yesterday I bought a white version of the same watch to repair (practice on) with the Idea of giving it to my son as he like's the black version of this watch.

I do have a question or two 

How do I remove the glass, as you can see it is a domed shape and the bezel (I think) that is what the outer ring around the glass is called.

second question

where do I get a repair epoxy kit from and what is the best.

Just out of interest is this the tool required to remove the glass https://www.amazon.co.uk/Opener-Remover-Repairing-Watchmaker-Removal/dp/B07Q8JTZQM/ref=rvi_12/258-7200769-0422933?pd_rd_w=VeYul&pf_rd_p=febd3956-4d60-4288-b8f2-cb468eb6674d&pf_rd_r=SMTV1AJCB712T4PSKAS8&pd_rd_r=f03a65bc-5611-4b8a-a520-4beb588351ab&pd_rd_wg=BKFao&pd_rd_i=B07Q8JTZQM&psc=1

or this one 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Plastic-Crystal-Glasses-Remover/dp/B09MW3LCMD/ref=rvi_18/258-7200769-0422933?pd_rd_w=YWUSg&pf_rd_p=febd3956-4d60-4288-b8f2-cb468eb6674d&pf_rd_r=PYNXSV334XR0DAPKYAEY&pd_rd_r=2cd50d01-f95f-47f0-bc2c-02f49cf90a95&pd_rd_wg=2uMDg&pd_rd_i=B09MW3LCMD&psc=1

thank you

Fossil.jpg

fossil-grant-automatic-black-skeleton-dial-mens-watch-me3055.jpg

Hiya T. Doin ? Mate. The first one is a fancy gadget used to remove a bezel you can use a nice fine sharp case knife. You can also buy single edge razor blades that fit  into a blade holder, normally used to remove paint from glass but not always strong enough and may break if the bezel is tight.Or I use a flat blade that fits into a craft knife that I think was a pound or so. I'll stick a photo on later when I get home. The other is a crystal lift, they aren't bad but you would be best to buy a good quality.  I have a second  hand bergeon which seems good. The glass should push out with some strong pinkies if you actually have a removable bezel. If you can't push it out by hand then a glass press insert to tap it out.  When putting back, if it's a flat mineral then a glass press, if acrylic then it is possible to squeeze them in by hand if you have superman fingers like me lol. If domed and you dont fancy hand pressing in then I find a crystal lift good for taking off and putting back, but that all depends on your dome height and if it will grab the edge of the crystal

Edited by Neverenoughwatches