Eta 2846 Weird But Hopefully Simple Issue ?

I might be missing something really simple here but.....

Ive just finished re assembling an ETA 2846 with only the rotor to add, the watch winds manually just fine, the auto works are fully free and winding as they should ( i reassembled it twice to be sure ). As soon as i add the rotor ( which appears in perfect condition ) the watch becomes incredibly hard to wind manually and the rotor is not freely swinging ( i have made sure the gearing is all engaged too ). I have stripped down the auto works twice thinking it is something ive missed there but im a little confused now , i followed ETA service sheet throughout. The rotor bearings are fine with no signs of wear or damage.

Anyone else come across this or am i being a plonker and missing something glaringly obvious ?

BTW this is for a West End Stowa military issue watch.

The Rotor also moves when manualy winding :(

Edited by MrBeat

I believe one of the wheels -- ratchet or other flat one -- is upside down. The recess has to face up. But maybe I'm mixing movements? Let me know if that helps as this is just from memory.

Unfortunately bob no change, the ratchet wheel is the same either way and the crown wheel can only go one way. Im simply perplexed by this one as there is nothing i can see that's wrong, if i remove the rotor the auto works become free to run as they would, i know they have engaged. I done so many eta movements and yet this has never come up.

Sorry to hear that...how about one of the wheels in the auto mechanism? Did you take it apart? I believe this is a version of the ETA 2824 for "outside sales", so not too much of a difference there. Hopefully any corresponding part from the 2824 should fit if there is a damaged one. Again, just from memory...

It sounds like one of the reversing wheels is faulty. I had an issue a while ago with this movement it ran great wound manually great but the auto just did not work correctly.  On Marks advise changed the reversing wheels & problem solved. I noticed on the ETA service sheets there is now a special lubricant for these wheels.

• Like 1

Is the rotor trying to spin when you wind it? If yes then the reversor wheels need cleaning.

How was it before you worked in it? If it was better (than now) then maybe your assembly was flawed..☺

Anil

It sounds like one of the reversing wheels is faulty. I had an issue a while ago with this movement it ran great wound manually great but the auto just did not work correctly.  On Marks advise changed the reversing wheels & problem solved. I noticed on the ETA service sheets there is now a special lubricant for these wheels.

I triple checked the auto works and this appears to be the most likely issue, im going to be ordering both wheels and replace both at same time. I have cleaned the auto works twice and re lubricated them but i think the rev wheels are both knackered. 

Is it possible that you have mixed a couple of screws up and you are fitting the rotor with one thats too long?

I followed the ETA service sheet to the letter ( i always have one whether im familiar with the movement or not ), plus the way i disassemble movements won't allow screws to get mixed up.

Is the rotor trying to spin when you wind it? If yes then the reversor wheels need cleaning.

How was it before you worked in it? If it was better (than now) then maybe your assembly was flawed..☺

Anil

The movement was a non runner before i started, it had very many solid years of use and winding was worse if not impossible beforehand. I have cleaned the reversing wheels twice and i believe they are both kaput tbh. The watch had several broken parts which i have replaced with new, so if the rev wheels are kaput it would not surprise me. The rotor and bearings luckily are still in good order.

I follow ETA service sheets by the number so i should hope my assembly is not flawed ha ha :)

I will be ordering both new reversing wheels so hopefully this should get the auto mech back into action.

• Like 1

Well my new reversing wheel has arrived, and it is at this point i have just spotted the most obvious error ( head in hands :( )

The reversing wheel and the aux reversing wheel are both missing the pair of jewels that they are supposed to have. This would now explain the friction related problems with the rotor, though i really can't believe i missed something so basic and obvious.

Needless to say i now have to order a aux reversing wheel from a different eta caliber but im confident this will now resolve the issues. Please accept my apologies for this complete brain fart :D

Once i finish the watch ( eventually ) i will post the result :)

Been there done it a few times myself. Putting a MST watch together today & found one of the pins of the pin lever is broken off. Luckily found a replacement but again missed this fault when I stripped it. Bum & double Bum  :pulling-hair-out:

Are you talking about the two jewels in each reversor wheel? If they are missing then why do you have to order replacement from a different caliber?

To be honest I have not come across the jewels in these wheels coming loose before...they usually get dirty and it takes a lot to clean them well and its usually better to replace rather than clean..

Some pictures would help..

Anil

Yes the jewels in the reversing wheel and aux wheel were both missing. Cousins don't have a aux wheel ( Part #1530) for the 2846 but im ordering one from a related caliber that will fit.

Ive only seen the jewels missing once, and that was in an Omega, i have no idea why or where they have gone but i assume previous owner/ repairer knew about them being missing.

Most cases a good clean sorts them out, but depending on age of movement and how regularly it had been serviced then yes i would replace the parts also. I will post pictures later.

Well good news :)

The ETA Aux wheel arrived today and the automatic works have been re assembled and lubricated and......... the watch now works as it should....hooray !! The watch is timed to within 12+- seconds a day which is good enough for me.

Since the watch has been such a bain and has taken so long im going to keep her as one of my daily wear watches. I plan to get some new hour & minute hands as the old ones are a little knackered, other than that i think shes ok.

The watch was originally in a bad way with a rather nasty dial and battered casing, broken glass etc. The dial has been cleaned ( not yet relumed ) and the casing has had the worst of the damaged removed ( i did not want to over do the polishing ). I do have the original strap but it has seen better days, given it is military issue it has almost literally seen the wars ha ha. I have added a comfortable N.A.T.O strap which i think compliments it but not sure about the colour ?!.

Anyways, you guys want to see the goods rather than read me gabbing on, so here it is :)

West End Watch Company -- Sowar Prima -- Automatic 17 Jewels -- ETA Cal 2846

DSC01825_zpsy8hifvaw.jpg

DSC01826_zpsqfl4fy69.jpg

DSC01827_zps5c2wcqqf.jpg

She ain't pretty but she runs :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...