Plastic Mineral Water Bottle Screw-Cap As Movement Holder

Although new to the fascinating hobby of watches, I offer this experience to hobbyists trying to fix a quartz movement to a "pin-less" dial:

All this theory of using dial feet stuck to the back of the dial didn't help – the thickness of the base of the dial feet is too much, and the result is that the hand shaft(s) of the movement do not adequately protrude out of the dial's central hole. Also, even if it was possible, the tiny dimensions of the feet surfaces don't give me much me confidence in the dial remaining fixed! 
Sticking double-sided tape to the rim of the movement is also not an option, as the rim too thin for this to be feasible. 

Therefore, Eureka – the plastic screw cap of a mineral water bottle of the correct dimensions, and cut accordingly, with the movement pressed in, offers a relatively wide rim, perfectly usable for attaching double-sided tape, to stick onto the back of the dial.

Therefore, think carefully before chucking your mineral water caps in the dustbin (trash can)! In fact, always think carefully before throwing away 'useless' objects. Usually you can't use these items, until after having chucked them away!

post-834-0-98720400-1431696937_thumb.jpg

post-834-0-28021800-1431696946_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Way to think outside the norm. [emoji106] [emoji122]

In fact, always think carefully before throwing away 'useless' objects. Usually you can't use these items, until after having chucked them away![/size][/font][/color]

However, it's this kind of thinking that finds us in the sorry state of having a garage big enough for two hatchbacks but only enough space for a paperclip...... if you open the door, throw it in and quickly shut it again. THANKS DAD! [emoji35]

Hi boblalux,

I like the idea but...how do you fit it in the case...I'm having trouble visualizing it. Maybe with a picture to see the end result? Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi boblalux,

I like the idea but...how do you fit it in the case...I'm having trouble visualizing it. Maybe with a picture to see the end result? Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Bob

Quite simple.  In the last photo above, stick double-sided tape on the white portion of the bottletop cut-out, and carefully stick centralised on the back of the dial.  Any loose room betwee the back of the movement and the watches rear screw back, can be filled with round discs of cut plastic.

Bob

I was wondering because the dial holding spacer on the Seiko movement is a very tight fit, doubling as a movement ring to keep the movement centered and positioned correctly in addition to be the intended guide for the date dial...any addition to this ring sides will prevent the movement to fit in the case. Are you modifying the original case? I have several dials with broken feet I could re-use if this works!

I was wondering because the dial holding spacer on the Seiko movement is a very tight fit, doubling as a movement ring to keep the movement centered and positioned correctly in addition to be the intended guide for the date dial...any addition to this ring sides will prevent the movement to fit in the case. Are you modifying the original case? I have several dials with broken feet I could re-use if this works!

You won't need a spacer - 1.  the double-sided tape is space enough, and 2.you can push the movement a fraction backwards within the bottle top to increase space, or forwards to decrease space.  The fit is quite tight, so that the movement remains in place, anyway (if not, a minute drop of superglue will help).

Any space between the movement and back of the watch can be filled with plastic discs cut to size.  There is no limit to the amount of plastic in most households!!!

Cheers, and good luck 

Bob

Avoid the superglue Bob, it gives off gas over  time & can seriously screw up the internals.

I've heard that before.  Araldite won't stick to plastic?  What should one use?  Silicone glue?

Edited by boblalux

• 4 weeks later...

Avoid the superglue Bob, it gives off gas over time & can seriously screw up the internals.

Thank you BL I'll avoid eating it... :D

Sorry I couldn't resist!. No seriously, in a pinch I'll use epoxy!

Cheers,

Bob