Getting started

Ericair6

I’ve always thought watch repair was interesting. I would like to get started and purchase all the required tools and oils. I plan on starting with seiko 7s,4r and 6r movements. I was looking at seiko prices and noticed that the 6r movements were $100 more for service than the 4r. Any ideas why? Any more advice is always welcome. Also does anyone know if Mark will go back to Thailand after Covid?

43 minutes ago, Ericair6 said:

I was looking at seiko prices and noticed that the 6r movements were $100 more for service than the 4r. Any ideas why?

Welcome here. That is a normal  (although it can be considered unfair)  practice in the industry), work or anything else related to a more expensive watch will cost more to the owner, even if all it's the same.

Any more advice is always welcome.

I suggest that you start reading the related walk through articles in our dedicated section.

Also does anyone know if Mark will go back to Thailand after Covid?

Perhaps you can check his Facebook page for this kind of personal information. 

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

I always suggest beginners start with a pocket watch movement (not a fusee type) as they are very much like a basic watch movement but much bigger. You can learn how to take it apart and put it back together, it will give you good practice in learning how to use your tweezers,  watch screwdrivers and your eye glass, you don't even need to repair it. Learn the names of all the parts (download the pdf this will help you) 

I messaged Mark some time ago about his new course because a member on here asked me about it. I'm sorry to say so far Mark hasn't got back. I'm thinking he doesn't have availability to his messages.

You are going to need very deep pockets to buy all the tools, oils and other things. Buy the basic tools first and buy the best you can afford. 

1033305402_TZIllustratedGlossary(1).pdf

Here's my take on tools. When starting, and not know if one will continue or not and what exactly will need to do, it's useless to go for brand tools or spend big just because "they will last a lifetime". Be reasonable, buy value, remember that is the person that does the job, not the tools. That will let you have more budget to buy more tools or practice watches.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...