1968 Bulova Oceanographer case back removal

tarrda

I bought this watch in 1968 and am interested in getting it running again. It is a "t Swiss Made t", it has tritium dust inside the case and the second hand has rust on it. I wanted to open the case back and see if it has rust inside but can't figure out how. I've already scratched it 3 times and figure I can polish that out but I quit until I know what I am doing. Can anybody help. I thought it was a press fit and would just pry it off but their isn't any space to fit any tool. I used a Bergeron pry tool but again, it won't catch any where on the case back. Any help would be appreciated. Also if you know of a watchmaker that might be interested in tackling a service on this let me know.006.thumb.JPG.9633c9e2b2c3b13b3a08bfdb193580ec.JPG this one let me know.010.thumb.JPG.9cdda9ed63d4d85c760b4847850036c8.JPG 

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

Edited by tarrda
misspelled words

I think I can see a little tab sticking out of the caseback, around the 2 o'clock position. That is the place to insert the caseback knife. 

Opening a caseback is no so much a prying action but a wedging one. My preference now is a Seiko style knife. It is a short stubby blade, more like a chisel and is pushed with the palm of your hand, rather than your index finger.

If the watch has be worn a lot, rust, sweat and dead skin cells could have collected in the cracks and seized up the caseback. I like to use a wet toothbrush to clean up the case first, to wet and soften any organic matter. This also prevents debris from getting into the movement once the back pops off.

Try these tricks first. If it doesn't work, then we'll guide you through level 2 opening. 🤣

I'm tempted to think this is a one piece case because the writing on the back is prefectly centred!

The usual way to get into these one-piece case is to apply force on the crown but on some there will be a release that is visible with the crystal removed.

Anilv.

I suspect it is a really tight snap back case back. You might need one of these because when really tight scratches and un necessary marks can happen with a case knife.Also when re fitting a case press of some sort will be needed to re fit. 

7CF9D015-71B8-4D4A-98E4-338E378A406C.jpeg.7fdea3b879caa05f77e989240ab88eb5.jpeg