Micrometer

Nucejoe

Why don't you get a digital one. Mitutoyo is a good brand. Even some digital ones from China are pretty good. 

I'm also thinking of upgrading to a digital version. It's getting a little tiring on the eyes, squinting and counting the divisions on the micrometer scale.

Maybe I should get my eyes checked for astigmatism. Wait a minute.... I remove my glasses when I'm working.... so they are not being corrected for astigmatism.... No wonder the lines seem to be all over the place!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi ya all. 

Shopping for a Micrometer I came accross this,  a PWD brand, made in Poland, is anybody here familiar with this brand? are they any good?  I don't think I need top quality ones really. 

https://esam.ir/zoomItemN.aspx?img=e17qs968_171417-22143243!1.jpg&slide=1&IDi=22135287

Appreciate your help. 

I think it would do just fine.  Similar to this one which I use all the time even though I have a JKA and a digital Mutitoyo.

2022-02-14 20_45_59-Window.png

• Thanks 1

As long as you zero it in properly without applying too much tension to the knurled knob, it should be fine. I remember that the analog Mitutoyos I used in my apprenticeship had a really good temperature range that they were accurate in. Maybe some of the cheaper ones don’t have that? Though these days it hardly matters as I am not trying to measure something when the temperature is zero. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty much all mics (all that I know of) are calibrated at 20 degrees C. In the practical world, if the mic and part are the same temperature it doesn't really matter if you are a few or more degrees off, it's only when measuring really small numbers like microns or ten thousandths of an inch that it can be a concern, especially if the part is a different metal than the mic.

I like to check my mics to gages, and since 99% of what I measure is small round stuff I use small plug gages. If the mic is decent quality, you can usually just go with cleaning the face of the spindle and anvil and check that it zeros correctly. There is always an adjustment, but it usually requires a little pin spanner wrench to do. I can see in Joe's pic the wrench is there, so that's good.

I know a fellow who bought a set of Polish mics some years back, and ran them through the calibration lab at his work, and they checked out great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an assortment of staffs,  perhaps two thousand or more , just mixed with no way to ID most of them other than to measure dimensions, so need an accurate Micrometer to measure pivot diameter with. 

You gentleman are generous so to prove that I am not really a bad guy either, I best start sending members some staffs. 

Just to be on the safe side, I did put in a bid for a Mityotyo.

Regards

I really strongly recommend not using a micrometer to measure balance staff pivots. By the time you can feel that the spindle and anvil are in contact, you have marked the pivot with a couple of tiny flat spots. I know some people say the spring loaded dial type tools like the JKA Feintaster won't mark pivots, but I don't trust that. For stuff under about 0.15mm you really need a jewel gage. I know they are hard to find and expensive, but those little flats will really mess up your timing.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Is this what you recommend.  

Have never come accross a new one for sale,   just used ones.

Yes. They can also be found in 0.005mm increments, which is nice. Also, the Seitz "balance pivot straightening tool", which isn't great for straightening pivots, has jewels from 0.07mm to 0.15mm in 0.0025mm increments- that's awesome for checking small balance pivots. Not cheap, but great.

• Thanks 1