Cannon Pinion Tightening

cdjswiss

I have had bad experience with the old Bergeon cannon pinion tightener leading to the pinion breaking.

post-374-0-14238300-1431525953.jpg

I have now received the Bergeon 31001 tool. If you have a jewelling set then this is certainly the inexpensive way to go. The pinion was gradually squeezed by an amount measured on the vernier until it had just a nice friction fit onto the centre arbor. This progressive approach beats all of the 'tap it with the hammer and try'  methods.

post-374-0-30639900-1431525912_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You can buy stake and punch for it and use with any jeweling tool, no need for special tool

This Horia tool is not a special tool it a standard jewelling press of the screw type - often available on eBay at a reasonable price. But as I said any other lever type jewel setting press can be used. 

500-1200$ - just for tool, no stakes, I wouldnt call it  resonable :) but you are right it will go with any jeweling tool. I had an impression that clockboy refered to your picture as a tool for tightening cannon pinions, but I might missinterprted it :)

The jewel press shown in my photo is sold new from Horia for CHF 381 (about $400). Rafal, do your homework and try not to be rude.

http://www.horia.ch/en/Products/Jewellling-Setting-staking-tools/Jewelling-tools/Jewelling-tool-spindle-hole-4-00-mm.html

Second hand ones on eBay sell for less. Those with a spindle hole of only 3mm for much less, and these can be drilled out to the standard 4mm.

I find that setting jewels with this type of press is very much easier than with my Favorite lever press. The stakes from this set are, of course, used with the 4mm Horia press. 

Edited by cdjswiss

Just for the record Rafal, The Horia tool is one of the most accurate and well respected jewelling tools available, it is very well worth having. It just so happens that you can do other things with it as well including tightening canon pinions - with the special stump and punch.

Very nice setup cdjswiss - I want one now :)

Cheers Mark. I didn't said its not worth having, it seems someone missed my emoticons and took it too personal :) which wasn't my intention. Im going to order those punches for ma jeweling tool as  cdjswiss setup seems to be nice for that job. I think its better and more accurate, in addition I would need just a set of punches instead of another tool just for cannon pinions (Cousins have some other tool for tightening).

nice, I have similar staking set, and I think I have also this stake and punch :) the only thing is there is no depth control which Horia (or jeweling) type of tools have - micrometric screw. Have you noticed that stake and punch for jeweling tool are flat?

I started using this one a few years ago and I love it - gives a great amount of control..

post-1-0-16035800-1431711631.jpg

I am sure someone on the forum made some of these himself - possibly Geo but can't remember.

• 3 years later...
On 5/15/2015 at 7:40 PM, Mark said:

I started using this one a few years ago and I love it - gives a great amount of control.

I am sure someone on the forum made some of these himself - possibly Geo but can't remember.

I have a cannon pinion that I suspect is sliding just a tiny bit just before the date changes (Poljot 2614.2H) and I'd like to try this tool. I feel basically no resistance from the cannon pinion when setting the time so I guess that's a solid indication it needs some tightening? Does anyone have any info on how to use it? I do get the general idea, but some hands-on guidance on how to actually use it would be fantastic. Is Mark using it in any of his videos? I looked around a bit (not too much) but couldn't find any. Perhaps it will be included in the watch repair lessons level 3!? That would be great!

Edited by jdm
Please don't include pictures in quoting

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you in need of hands-on guidance on how to actually use a Cannon Pinion Tightener of the type shown by Mark a few posts ago (which I have asked for), I'm more than delighted to recommend Mark's Watch Repair Course Level 3. Here you'll learn in video illustrated detail how to identify a too loose or a too tight cannon pinion and how to deal with it using the tightener tool and other tools for opening the cannon pinion. Good stuff!!! :Bravo:

Whatever tool or method is chosen the key to a successful outcome is total control. Reversing the process is difficult.  I use my Seitz jeweling tool which has a dedicated anvil so the amount of pressure added is very precise.