How often would you wear this Rolex?

Inc100

1 hour ago, GomBoo said:

If I have a watch, it's because I like it, if I like it, I ware it. 

Right. But when owning a Rolex dato-compax 4768 with upright 8 - 23 days, which is difficult to estimate but possibly worth north of $40,000, probably more considerations are made beside liking and wearing it. 

No matter when and where, it was a very generous gift to receive. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

40 Grand, not bad for an ETA watch 😉

Well, it's a Valjoux (72C), but yeah, the price reflects rarity of the Rolex implementation. To be honest I'm surprised it's not worth more; I guess it just doesn't hit the collectors like simpler Valjoux 72 driven Rolexes like a Paul Newman... there you're straight away over 200k!

11 hours ago, jdm said:

Right. But when owning a Rolex dato-compax 4768 with upright 8 - 23 days, which is difficult to estimate but possibly worth north of $40,000, probably more considerations are made beside liking and wearing it. 

Well, maybe...but if you are 'treating as an INVESTMENT put it in the safety deposit box and forget about enjoying it, IMHO not what a watch if for.

In addition, every time you look at it on your wrist, memories will flood the dial.

Edited by GomBoo
n

13 hours ago, GomBoo said:

If I have a watch, it's because I like it, if I like it, I ware it. 

I take it you don't keep a collection to enjoy just having the piece, admire its beauty and glory,

I have over a thousand watches in my collection that have never worn on wrist, some not even good looking by any standard.

I follow the same philosophy with watches that I do with classic cars. Once it gets valuable enough that I don't feel comfortable driving it in a storm, I cash out. It's different since it has family history, but how upset would you be if you really messed it up doing some daily life thing? Only because it's an heirloom, I'd figure out a way to display it, and maybe wear it for special occasions. 

3 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

I take it you don't keep a collection to enjoy just having the piece, admire its beauty and glory,

I have over a thousand watches in my collection that have never worn on wrist, some not even good looking by any standard.

Oh My...let's see THAT 'collection'.

Start with the those not worth looking at.😂

Edited by GomBoo

2 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

I follow the same philosophy with watches that I do with classic cars. Once it gets valuable enough that I don't feel comfortable driving it in a storm, I cash out. It's different since it has family history, but how upset would you be if you really messed it up doing some daily life thing? Only because it's an heirloom, I'd figure out a way to display it, and maybe wear it for special occasions. 

I also use my family 'heirloom's'...in the Family since new, never restored.

50DCEEA7-E52E-48ED-9283-E073497D427A_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by GomBoo
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, GomBoo said:

Oh My...let's see THAT 'collection'.

Start with the those not worth looking at.😂

I was affraid this wil be coming, in fact couple of years ago, anvil suggested I should show my Oris watches, which I replied I will,  but I keep them in my bank safe deposit box which I haven't gone to in the past three years. I think I shall post a pic of all watches spread on the bank floor plus perhaps two dozen pix of individual pieces, since showing each piece individually is a job but lacks educational significance. 

I know.....    I am lazy.....  but  looks like this task is upon me this time. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jdm said:

Well, that's the thing. He has a Datejust as his daily wear. He never wears this one, he's not a watch aficionado. It's more of a keepsake. To each their own.

I'm strange.  I've worked on a very wide and eclectic variety of watch makes, from very cheap  - to so extremely expensive that I was quite nervous when stripping them.  But my own collection is rather small.  Maybe 12 pocket watches and 8 wrist watches.  But I like to wear or carry each one.  Partly I wear them because, at my insurance job, it's a data-secure environment so we can't have a smart phone at our desk (because it can record information) so we tell time with our watches.  But mostly, I just like them.  I prefer them.
I have one which is an old key wind/set Vacheron & Constantin (made before they dropped the "&") which could be worth a great deal.  I cannot afford to have it appraised yet.  But I'm in no hurry; I'm not selling it.  I adore it just as it is, and carry it now and then.  Maybe someday, I will learn how much some stranger would try to pay me for it.  I have an Elgin in an 18k case too.  And a gorgeous silver Longines from 1919.  In all, they are likely worth far more to me than to anyone else.  All mine are serviced and are as accurate as they are capable of being.  So I figure, why not use them, and show them off a bit now and again?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why does one wear a particular watch....or ANY watch for that matter regardless of monetary value?

Is it because you actually like and do enjoy wearing that particular watch?

Or do you wear a particular watch out of pure monetary value or prestige?

Maybe because of a proud family heirloom or a special gift, etc.?

As for myself, I wear a watch because I enjoy wearing it, whenever the occasion calls for regardless of value.

I own a few high dollar $ time pieces and low value $ time pieces, from my humble watch collection and yes I enjoy wearing anyone of them regardless of monetary $ dollar value. Not out of prestige, show, being impressive, etc. or some other pity thought.

In my opinion A watch is built and meant to be worn and enjoyed on one's wrist.

Everyone's different on what they like to wear and when, etc. and I can respect that. To each their own.

As for myself, if the watch is...$40K....$200K...or even if it's less that $200 dollars...I'd still enjoy wearing it, without any worries.

Now if my watch needs to be serviced....well if it is a high dollar valued watch....believe me I'm sending it in to the authorized service dealer when it comes to that. 

If it is a low dollar value watch....I'll attempt to service it myself.

Just my $0.02 on the subject.

Edited by Orhorolgy
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, KarlvonKoln said:

I'm strange..... So I figure, why not use them, and show them off a bit now and again?

Yes sir you are so correct with that stated question in your post.

If you don't wear it and appreciate it....once your gone from this world....someone else is going to appreciate and enjoy wearing it.

Your the one that purchased it.....so you might as well enjoy wearing it instead of appreciating it by just looking at it in it's box.

Lastly....and no your not strange!😄

Edited by Orhorolgy

On 2/7/2022 at 11:53 PM, Inc100 said:

One of my husband's watches. Was his father's who received it as a gift when he worked in Switzerland decades ago.

Rolex4768_1.thumb.jpg.c5d4235cafb10dbca6fbbd3984109d56.jpg

Gorgeous looking Rolex, one for Antiques Roadshow.  A beautiful watch to be cherrished however you wish.

thanks for sharing.

I have a collection of watches af all kinds but only wear one and when it breaks I fix it (Lorus quartz "lumibrite" Gives me the time ,day and date. What else do I need to know. As for a Rolex I just would not wear one, dont have one and wouldnt buy one  But thats just me.

Regarding a nudist wearing a watch it depends where it is?

1 hour ago, GomBoo said:

I think in his case, clothes may also be an optional accoutrement.

Ever see a nudest waring a watch? It just don't look right.😂

I don't buy many clothes just enough to get by. I have never been a person who wants more then one pair of shoes or loads of shirts or jeans.  I have clocks about my home all telling different times many I don't even wind up. I hardly ever go out, I don't like going out these days. I'm very happy with my two lovely cats. I don't have a TV nothing but crap on and I object having to pay for crap that I'll never watch beside I can watch what I like when I like on my computer. 

Now is there any more you would like to know about me?🤣

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I don't buy many clothes just enough to get by. I have never been a person who wants more then one pair of shoes or loads of shirts or jeans.  I have clocks about my home all telling different times many I don't even wind up. I hardly ever go out, I don't like going out these days. I'm very happy with my two lovely cats. I don't have a TV nothing but crap on and I object having to pay for crap that I'll never watch beside I can watch what I like when I like on my computer. 

Now is there any more you would like to know about me?🤣

Scotch, Bourbon   or tea? 

DSC08071.JPG

• Like 2