Hello From Crete

Vich

Brought the cigars with me. A present from the Bro in law. I am going to try and find some of the Septem beers that Evan suggested. The place is idyllic and peace and tranquility abound. It's a bit weird doing nothing except walking, lying down and eating (not necessarily in that order) but we are slowly acclimatising.

Knock off Quartz Rolex are on sale in the jewellery shop 25 Euros each but I will not be partaking. All the rest are Quartz mostly with Brand names I don't recognise. Not a windey up one in sight.

Cheers

Vic

Home now,

Picked up by my daughter and her new Husband who had mowed my lawns ready for me coming home and filled the fridge with goodies !!

I do realise how lucky I am in life generally.

I don't know how many members like coffee but heres an observation, I noticed a world of difference between Greek Nescafe Original bought locally to use in the room and our British version.  The Greek version tastes more like proper coffee by which I mean ground / filtered type stuff.  I don't profess to be any sort of expert, however, I much prefer the taste of the Greek one especially for frappe.  So I bought a tin and brought it home.  Out of curiosity I went on line and sure enough you can order the Greek Nescafe Original on line at an exhorbitant price so there must be a market for it.  How come we can't just buy the good stuff off the shelf here ?

Got into some interesting conversations with some of the locals about History and Current affairs about which I will express no opinions on the forum but there is definitely tension there now which is not normal for Greek people who I have found after about a dozen visits to their country, are one of the most caring and laid back family oriented races in the world. Hope it works out for them as the strife does not sit well on Greek shoulders at all.

Anyway, never did find Septem Beer and had to make do with everything else in the Tavernas, numerous shots of Raki given away in restaurants (an acquired taste), interesting liquers like Mastica, flavoured by the sap of a particular tree and House wine for 3.5 Euros a half litre - some of which was quite palatable, only once did we decline to drink all of the house wine carafe and the waiter advised it was a newly opened barrel and we were the first to try it.  He then advised he would just keep it for the Greeks and give the tourists the boxed wine as normal - you have to smile at the sheer openness and likeability of the culture and people.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

Interesting re-the coffee my wife noticed a few years ago when in France we purchased some Knorr stock cubes.

Completely different to the UK version stronger and really give the flavours they should.

The problem is in the UK we don,t complain.

Interesting re-the coffee my wife noticed a few years ago when in France we purchased some Knorr stock cubes.

Completely different to the UK version stronger and really give the flavours they should.

The problem is in the UK we don,t complain.

They were probably NOS ! :)

• Like 2