Jump to content

Repair of Oris SA7445


Recommended Posts

Small success story... not long after my wife and I were married (25 years ago) we were walking through Fordingbridge UK and the small jeweller's shop was closing down. In the window they had a display of new old stock Oris watches including an SA7445 with an exhibition back... later on that year, my wife presented me with the 7445 for my birthday. I wore the watch every day for 10 years, had it regularly serviced. However, about 15 years ago I was giving a lecture (cell biology (yawn)) in Belgium and whilst waving my hands around enthusiastically I felt something go cataclismically "sproing" inside it. The auto-winder span round and it died. 

The watch has sat in a draw neglected since. I've made half hearted attempts to get it fixed but no watchmender has been interested.

Recently have been reading around, watching various videos, acquiring tools and started renovating quartz watches. Last weekend I plucked up the courage, sharpened my screwdrivers, got out rhe tweezers, loupe and rodico and investigated the Oris...  

I found that the all the screws in the rotor and the automatic mechanism were loose and the click had become disengaged. After a couple of hours I reassembled the auto wind, re engaged the click ratchet but the watch still didn't work. Then I noticed that one of the screws that holds the auto wind mechanism in place was missing. As I'd never had the watch apart before the logical conclusion was that the screw was somewhere inside.

So... I carefully disassembled everything again and started to delve deeper into the movement... sure enough... there was the screw, jammed in the gear train. Gentle prodding and coaxing loosened it and I was able to shake it loose. Hey-Presto... the watch immediately started ticking and woke up after 15 years of suspended animation.

After reassembly and ensuring everything was screwed tight... I proudly showed my wife the fruits of my labours.

Sadly... she can't remember giving me the watch in the first place... oh well....

20220203_183637.jpg

20220203_183627.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now it's working I decided to give the Oris a bit of a face-lift with a metal band. The curved ends need a bit of work so they are a bit more 'snug'.

I always thought the leather strap made the watch look a bit small against my meaty hand and wrist. The steel strap bulks it out a bit.

Next week's job... jewel oiling... and I can see a couple of scratched in the acrylic that need polishing out.20220204_211657.thumb.jpg.c82a4e6d25529e883e6fcc678cac5dc6.jpg

Screenshot_20220204-213916_Photos~2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi... thanks for your kind words, JimL, but.....noooo... I don't have the courage (nor the kit) to do a full service.  Neither do I want to practise on this watch... so the plan is to re open the watch next week and very lightly oil the jewels with mobeius 8000. Just to keep it ticking over.

Next on the self learning journey is to find an old pocket watch with unitas 6497 movement and practice disassembly service, cleaning, rebuilding, oiling etc...

Then transfer that moment into a Panerai style case to make a bespoke wrist watch.

By then... I imagine the Oris will be in need of a proper service but (fingers crossed) I'll be better equipped and more competent.

My ongoing... and next projects are the renovation of a couple of quartz watches.

Things like timegraphers and cleaning machines are on the 'nice to have' lists.

I have found a nice little free app (watch accuracy meter) that has been useful. 

Horology suits my obsessive temperament and has been useful diversion as I recover from a herniated disc and resultant trapped nerves.

Take care and I wish you success in all things horological.

James 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JamesRoss said:

the plan is to re open the watch next week and very lightly oil the jewels with mobeius 8000.

I'm pretty sure it's best not to just add more oil to a dirty movement as any debris will remain and further wear the pivots. Probably best not to use it daily until you're ready to service the watch properly. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 2/3/2022 at 6:48 PM, JamesRoss said:

Small success story... not long after my wife and I were married (25 years ago) we were walking through Fordingbridge UK and the small jeweller's shop was closing down. In the window they had a display of new old stock Oris watches including an SA7445 with an exhibition back... later on that year, my wife presented me with the 7445 for my birthday. I wore the watch every day for 10 years, had it regularly serviced. However, about 15 years ago I was giving a lecture (cell biology (yawn)) in Belgium and whilst waving my hands around enthusiastically I felt something go cataclismically "sproing" inside it. The auto-winder span round and it died. 

The watch has sat in a draw neglected since. I've made half hearted attempts to get it fixed but no watchmender has been interested.

Recently have been reading around, watching various videos, acquiring tools and started renovating quartz watches. Last weekend I plucked up the courage, sharpened my screwdrivers, got out rhe tweezers, loupe and rodico and investigated the Oris...  

I found that the all the screws in the rotor and the automatic mechanism were loose and the click had become disengaged. After a couple of hours I reassembled the auto wind, re engaged the click ratchet but the watch still didn't work. Then I noticed that one of the screws that holds the auto wind mechanism in place was missing. As I'd never had the watch apart before the logical conclusion was that the screw was somewhere inside.

So... I carefully disassembled everything again and started to delve deeper into the movement... sure enough... there was the screw, jammed in the gear train. Gentle prodding and coaxing loosened it and I was able to shake it loose. Hey-Presto... the watch immediately started ticking and woke up after 15 years of suspended animation.

After reassembly and ensuring everything was screwed tight... I proudly showed my wife the fruits of my labours.

Sadly... she can't remember giving me the watch in the first place... oh well....

20220203_183637.jpg

20220203_183627.jpg

Aw lovely story James and well done if this is your first repair.  Shame about the wife's  reaction, bit of a deflation I imagine. The fairer of our species tend to be a bit like this at times. Fairer ? 😏 maybe not a fair description to be fair. My son did a similar, I spent ages repairing and acquiring parts for my grandfather's watch that hadn't worked for 50 years. A well and truly rusted in solid stem that I had to grind out , a broken pivot on escape wheel and very unhappy crystal. I got quite emotional  when the balance sprung to life and it ticked away for the first time in 50 years. All my first attempt  at watch repair. I brought  my 26 year old son into the room to witness my emotional  joyous event, he rolled his eyes said oh yeah it's working cool and promptly left the room. 😒

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/5/2022 at 6:04 PM, Plato said:

I'm pretty sure it's best not to just add more oil to a dirty movement as any debris will remain and further wear the pivots. Probably best not to use it daily until you're ready to service the watch properly. 

Hi . I agree with Plato not to add more oil without first cleaning out the old broken down oil first. I've heard and read from  various sources that adding oil can basically re-establish the paste like formulation of degraded oil and debris that had dried out and ground the movement to halt in the first place. I imagine it will restart the continuation of wear to pivots as a minimum. If it were mine i would hang fire until ready to attempt full service on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2022 at 2:22 AM, HectorLooi said:

Haha. 😂

Just remember, in future when your children or grandchildren are ecstatic over some seemingly trivial achievement, not to pour cold water on them.

A little harsh 😆 but i will set my mind to some kind of appropriate recourse. I do have access to the shower on/off switch outside of the bathroom 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...