Hi Guys,

I finally have a project where I can use my new/old lathe.  I've googled until my eyes ache trying to get some information on this lathe motor.  There is plenty of information about lathes online but I can't find much about the motors.  I have a few questions if anyone can help.  1) Is there a site where I can find general information about this motor or other jeweler motors.  2) Does the oil go in the holes that I marked with a blue line?  2.5 ) Since those holes have been open to the elements for who knows how long, should I try and clean them out.  Then I worry a bunch of solidified crud inside will drop to the spindle and do harm.  3) Where does one buy brushes or other parts if needed.  4) I plan to use 3 in 1 multi purpose oil (not their motor oil); is that reasonable? 5) It seems to run fine, so is there any need to take it apart and clean it?

Thanks and TGIF.  Arron.

motor_LI.jpg

If Its working ok dont dismantle it, and yes oil is dripped in the holes onto the motor shaft bearings but first clean the holes out , I would use a synthetic oil 10/40 personaly but use what ever you choose but remember not to mix it by using others along with the 3 in one.

Judging by the style of the motor its quite old so finding brushes and parts would be an issue, although brushes can usually ne moddified to fit.

This is a very common lathe motor.  I have two or three.  Does it run?  If so, don't mess with the brushes.  I would think the brushes would last several lifetimes unless they were used in a factory setting.

If you really need to replace the brushes, one place to start is here.

Also check with Dave. This might be the correct brush.

2022-01-29 07_09_27-Dave's Watch Parts and Tools - Lathe tools — Mozilla Firefox.png

Edited by LittleWatchShop

I appreciate the information.  How many drops of oil should i put in the holes and how often.  I will only be using it occasionally.  is there any thought that i should replace the felt wicks inside the holes?  they look brownish black (i put a singular light diode down the hole to see).

• 5 months later...

Hi Arron, sorry I am a bit late to the party.  I recently serviced a very similar lathe motor for a Boley 8mm watchmakers lathe.  The lathe was running not as smooth as it should so I actually serviced both the motor and the foot pedal, and a great watchmaker stripped down and serviced the lathe headstock for me when I was taking an escapement course at AWCI this summer.

boley-lathe.thumb.jpg.91910452d87882e8f7ba0ca3f96cd8e9.jpg

I am using sewing machine oil to add a couple drops to the felt pads hidden under the oiling holes you had identified earlier. You likely don't need to replace the pads, but do need to remember to oil them several times a year ( once a month) or they willl dry up.

motor-oiling-point.thumb.jpg.3ffbc29d26d9b689e19837d89153b76b.jpg

I checked the carbon brushes, by removing the two screw covers on either side of the motor.  

motor-side.thumb.jpg.8f1b9e7286fe88d5e7fa9955f16d08f1.jpg

In my case the carbon piece was still fairly long but I had to replace the springs as they were mangled.

carbon-brushes.thumb.jpg.abdaadc87d1b7579cad4b1796edb1fd7.jpg

I also opened the motor housing by removing the spindle attached by a couple of set screws, then the main two big screws that go through the length of the body.

motor-dissassembled.thumb.jpg.8403a8d4ca5ee9fda121c77ae39309ff.jpg

Once opened it revealed the carbon buildup on the rotor that needed to be cleaned using a fine emery cloth and extra extra fine steel wool so it was nicely polished brass again (be careful not to wear down the brass on the rotor by going too crazy 🙂

motor-rotor.thumb.jpg.7c8dcd2c83b18c653c6566500d9fba9e.jpg

I greased/oiled the bearing inside the housing and reassembled the motor.

motor-housing.thumb.jpg.f0240d93cec05c07363c2576b52d5e87.jpg

Now that the carbon has been cleaned off the rotor, and the carbon brushes are pushing evenly against the rotor (replaced the springs, and positioned the brushes so the worn curved ends match the rotor curve), and oiled, the motor runs very smoothly.

Good luck with your lathe!

Terry

Edited by TimeWerks
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, TimeWerks said:

it was nicely polished brass again (be careful not to wear down the brass on the rotor

Meant to say polished Copper, not Brass on the rotor.  duhh!  That is what I get for typing this stuff up in the midnight hours.  The main point is you want to have a clean connection for your electrical contact point.