Greetings To All From A Horology Newbie

Hello, I have had a interest in time pieces for a long time now but have only recently decided to try my hand at fixing them. I am the newest of newbies on this subject so I will be trying to absorb all this new information. I have question after watching many of the YouTube videos. How do I find out what oils or grease to use on the different parts of the timepiece movement.

Thanks for any info. I look forward to starting this new hobby.

Nathan

Welcome Nathan, this is the perfect site for all levels of horology!

The oil information is in the service data of the particular movement you are working on and may be had from different places on line and/or the manufacturer. Also, some oils can be substituted and/or omitted. Experience and research are key to this. Sometimes the service data is not available for a particular movement so general rules and/or experimentation are used instead. For starters, search our site for oils or lubrication and you will find a lot of stuff on the subject.

Cheers,

Bob

Welcome Nathan, There are many greases & oils & it can become confusing as Bob's post with movements such as ETA's if you go to their web site they list the suggested lubricants. However almost certainly you will need moebius 9010 & moebius D5. If you go to supply houses such as Cousins the oils listed also have descriptions added to help with selection. I have added a lubrication chart for your perusal. 

Lube Chart-3.pdf

Thanks all for the welcome. I can see that the more I explore about time pieces, the more there is to explore. I suppose I should now go to the appropriate forums to start asking questions. And I will have a lot of them.

Nathan it is one of those hobbies/jobs where you never stop learning and that's what gets many hooked (including myself). There is no better feeling than working a vintage watch and it bursts into life after your repair, it just gives a real sense of achievement and drives you on to the next challenge.

Hello Nathan and Welcome,

If you pop over to the "Watch Repairs Help and Advice" forum there is a pinned topic called "Lubricants" that may prove helpful.

Cheers,

Vic