Tommy Bahama Battery

Hi all,

I recently got a Tommy Bahama Decade (TB1017) for a battery change.

I had to remove the bezel around the crystal and the crystal ring.

I'm still unable to remove the movement.

The case is one piece with no back.

Tried to find something on line.

Called a company and they said it would have to be sent to Precission Time in Utah.

I'm guessing it has a two part stem, similar to some pocket watches.

Is this correct, and if so, what is the proper way to disassemble the stem and get to the battery?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I'm guessing it has a two part stem, similar to some pocket watches.

Is this correct

It does sound like it will have a split stem in which case a very firm pull will be required to remove it. Occasionally it is possible to turn the stem to a position to allow the movement to fall out.

As Clockboy says pictures may help identify the solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay,

I've had a lot of things going on since my last post.

Geo may have hit on something. I tilted the case and the movement fell out.

I've included picts. I had some trouble directing the focus on certain areas.

When reassembling, I tried to align the keyed stem parts and drop the movement in.

It worked.

Thanks all,

Dave

P.S. Let me know if the quality is OK.

post-975-0-03634200-1432688280_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-89494100-1432688300_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-20263500-1432688326_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-61593200-1432688326_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-18078900-1432688327_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I know this is an ancient post, but my dad just handed me this exact same watch tonight and he wants me to replace the battery.   So to remove the bezel and crystal, did you just use a case knife?  I can feel it has just a bit of a lip when I feel it with my fingernail, but I'm afraid I'll roll that little edge if I start prying at it with a case knife.   I don't see any indentations or anything that shouts "start here" on it.  Also I'm not real clear on how the stem came out in the post above.  Does it not need to come out to get the movement out?   Did it just require tilting the case the right way?  I'd hate to get the crystal off and still not be able to get the movement out.  Any help is appreciated.  It's a nice watch, being silver and all.. I'd really like to get it going for him again.  Thanks.

7 hours ago, jasonwright said:

So to remove the bezel and crystal, did you just use a case knife?  I can feel it has just a bit of a lip when I feel it with my fingernail, but I'm afraid I'll roll that little edge if I start prying at it with a case knife.  

Check topic below for a discussion on useful opening tools, as an easier and safer alternative to working slowing around with a sharp blade.