Closing a hand (reducing the diameter)

Been working on another Vulcain Cricket.  This is a rebuild from a rusty start and a donor watch (also a rusty watch).

The hand was floppy on the cannon pinion.  Not sure how that happened--was not my fault--the watch came to me in pieces (the last guy gave up I guess).  In one of my watchmaking books, there was a mention of using a jeweling tool to close the hand tube, so that is what I did.

Of course...as delicate as I was, I overshot and ended up having to use a staking tool to open it back up slightly.  Got it now.

I have two of these Seitz tools.  One has a base hole of 3mm and the other 4mm.  I only had one solid stump and it was a 3mm one.  I prefer the 4mm tool, so I just let the stump "float" for this exercise.

2022-01-21 08_48_37-P1010495.JPG ‎- Photos.png

2022-01-21 08_48_22-P1010494.JPG ‎- Photos.png

2022-01-21 08_48_50-P1010496.JPG ‎- Photos.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The tools for this job are offered by Seitz - Bergeon. Any jewelling press taking 4mm stakes can be used.

Seitz - Bergeon 31000   Set of 4 Tools

Sizes: Ø1.25, 1.75, 2.25 & 2.75mm

For Seitz 31300 Jewelling Outfit (B59401)

Tools for reducing hour hand holes. These make it possible to reduce hand
holes very accurately, to within 0.005mm. It is essential to use the micrometer
screw for this work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello @LittleWatchShop,

Can this Seitz press (31300) also be used to reduce the diameter of the main plate hole for the barrel arbor. I.e. To reduce endshake for non-jeweled pivot/arbor holes? 

If yes, probably with a hammer and not the micrometer. But can this tool be used like that? 

Thanks so much in advance!