Real or Copy Movado

Hello

I hope everyone is s staying safe during time and has lots of time on their hands……. Purchased a Movado watch new it looks like a real Movado  watch with  the serial number, model number etc…… with one exception the buckle……. I  need  someone to point out if this is a fake watch, or take it back to the dealer…….. A few pics  for reference 

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 hours ago, honeybee50 said:

I  need  someone to point out if this is a fake watch, or take it back to the dealer……..

If you bought in a shop it's not you that have to prove it's fake, but the other way around. I think that just mentioning that and your next shop would the the police will make them refund your money. Counterfeiting and related dealings is a crime, not a matter of "consumer rights". 

That being said there are expert collectors forums around, you may want to post there with the back opened. And of course the authoritative word of an official dealer. 

20 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Swiss quartz doesn't means a movement is Swiss.

As the OP pointed out, the etching on the case back is correct, but of course the one on the buckle is not. That is easy to verify for anyone from Internet pictures, e.g. on chrono24.com

Watches based on Swiss quartz mov.ts are easy to counterfeit when it comes to the mov.t, as it's immediately available and perhaps only the top plate needs to be re-worked.

1 minute ago, Marc said:

So are you saying that the wording "Swiss Quartz" means that the movement inside can't possibly be from Switzerland?

There are only a few Swiss quartz movement manufaturers, all branded, I know of no non branded one, makes no sense to make a movement when  quality ones are available to Swiss watchmakers. Based on which my answer to your question is yes.

3 minutes ago, jdm said:

Watches based on Swiss quartz mov.ts are easy to counterfeit when it comes to the mov.t, as it's immediately available and perhaps only the top plate needs to be re-worked.

This does't even say Swiss movement, it says Swiss quartz.

42 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

This does't even say Swiss movement, it says Swiss quartz.

What I'm trying to explain is, it's correct that says that, because it's supposedly a Movado from their economy range, made in China with Swiss parts - namely the Ronda the mov.t. There are probably more fakes than genuine of these around, and all could be coming out of the same factory.. Check listing: https://www.ebay.com/p/1323810638

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.333ba73be9ae570c1a17ee3d2752769d.jpg

• Thanks 1

If we are to go purely by the case back markings then there would certainly appear to be plenty of "fakes" out there, and in the hands of some perfectly reputable dealers....

31534767325.thumb.jpg.44e46a6b1a58bf1c97b6d08352581e47.jpg

91180041_Screenshot2022-01-21at08-59-30MovadoBlackYellowGoldPlatedStainlessSteelMuseumMO011346002MensWristwatch3....png.e99b6dde9d3a826cb18a8d099e450b99.png

.....these from just a couple of minutes of googlefoo.

Personally I would need to see what is underneath the case back before I could confidently declare something genuine or counterfeit, and even then only after verifying what the real deal should have under the hood so to speak.

In response to the OP's query I would say that the pics don't really provide enough information to come to a qualified conclusion, although the wording on the buckle is somewhat suspect and would warrant further investigation (open the watch up and have a proper look), preferably in the presence of the vendor.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marc said:

Personally I would need to see what is underneath the case back before I could confidently declare something genuine or counterfeit, and even then only after verifying what the real deal should have under the hood so to speak.

Right, so what should be the comparison item in this case? If the picture I have posted above is of a genuine one then the standard to which there are build is so low to cast doubt on everything. 

Really a purchase I would recommend anyone to avoid considering its absurd price. 

22 minutes ago, jdm said:

If the picture I have posted above is of a genuine one then the standard to which there are build is so low to cast doubt on everything.

I 100% agree with you, my understanding from your earlier post was that it was an example of a fake, I may have misunderstood.

I would urge any potential buyer to do the level of research that they feel is appropriate to the purchase prior to parting with their money. If I was presented with the example that you posted earlier I would have to come to one of two possible conclusions; either it's a fake, or if it is genuine then it is so over priced as to be laughable and I would move on.

If the contents of the case had proven a bit more credible though then I may still have wanted to do some some more investigation in order to satisfy myself that it was the real deal. This could be as simple as a close inspection with a loupe, or a more in depth check with the manufacturer and the dealer regarding authenticity, which ever provided me with the level of confidence that I was happy with, and that's a highly subjective judgement that is unique to each of us.

The point that I was making earlier though was that I think that we should be a bit more careful about categorically declaring something a fake without sufficient evidence to back up our assertions. I can't tell from the submitted photos in the OP's post whether it's fake or genuine which is why I asked @Nucejoe to elaborate on how he came to his conclusion, afterall if there is some clue that I have missed then I would be glad of the education.

Your own explanation regarding the possibility of a genuine item from a budget range from Movado (therefore cheap but not fake) made sense and provided a possible alternative interpretation of the case back text, demonstrating the potential pitfalls of jumping to one side or other of the argument without sufficient data.

Like I said I would need more information regarding both the content of the watch case in question, and what should be in there, before I could even begin to have any confidence in my conclusion.

• Like 1

I think the movement Jdm shows is Asian made and cheaper than genuine Swiss Ronda. 

The quartz in it is like 99.8% pure and better quality quartz might be 99.89 pure, both quartz are purified by Swiss technology and made in Switzerland, with considerable price diference ofcourse. 

its always a fraction of a percent purer , purity never gets to 100% .

Most its other parts are also made in Asia, jdm's good choice of words to call economy range if he thinks lower grade as well, ie; lower grade quartz and slightly inferior electronic board maunfaturing process. 

Asian made Swiss quartz movements go in lower quality case, dial, strap, buckle.... etc. 

Good morning

Reading the reviews on the topic real or fake Movado, I am curious to know is this a cheap version for this watch ? What does the movement look like  compared to an authentic model…".. would anyone out there like to post  a real or authentic model for sake of comparison……..   I am going to take off the caseback to see what type movement is n the watch that I have…..

I did contact Movado , they have a secondary company to do all evaluations and to work on their product. (Watches)

Thanks

The movement jdm showed the picture of, says one jewel and the jewel is real tiny. Low grade Asian in other words fake.

Google ronda 715 and find a movement with similare layout which says five jewels which are big too. good grade Swiss in other words real.