Hobby Watch Maker

I really didn't do any thing great in this work apart from replacing the steam and key less work.  Clutch troubled me lot when try to fix steam, especially with movement inside case. Also fixing hands.

Overall I understood, Watch work needs right tools with right quality. All tools that i have used are china make :0).  Not of great quality. But still managed.

Hello Sendilkumar and a belated welcome to the Forum fom me,

Looks like a good job to me so well done!

I am like yourself just a hobbyist and have managed to fix some watches thanks to Mark's videos and the freely given help of others on the forum which I could not have managed without. 

I have a few HMT's that I have practised on, heres a pic of one that is working fine but still has some things I am not happy with :-

post-197-0-37390900-1437321893_thumb.jpg

The crown supplied with the watch is just a bit too large and stands proud of the case allowing ingress of water so I will get another crown and shorten the stem a bit so it fits neatly into the case and look to sealing it better.. 

The plastic watch glass is one of those push fit types and I will either replace it with a different type or if that is not possible I will look to using some form of adhesive to seal it as currently the inside of the glass mists up on a humid day and the movement has to be dried out and that must be fixed as it is inviting rust.

Overall I consider the HMT watches good value for the money.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

You can buy from eBay. But you need to establish the connection.

In eBay shop watches-parts  from Mumbai sells lot of HMT watches. Send personal message using contact seller and talk to him.

Yesterday i received 3 complete sets of parts 17 J.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Sendi,

I am led by your description of the fault to the automatic wind system.

post-197-0-60292600-1438853622.jpg

With the back off check the movement on the oscillating weight. If the weight is not turning freely then that is the problem.  It is unlikely to be catching the case as in general these movements are much smaller than the case. There is a ball race that sometimes causes problems and if that is faulty or dirty will have an effect.  When you gently move the weight the wheel just below centre should turn and that transfers to the spring, if it does not turn there is a problem between the two. If none of the aformentioned is at fault, It is really a case of removing the bits of the auto winding mechanism one by one checking as you go to see everything meshes correctly and all the teeth are ok.

Good Luck,

Vic

Edited by Vich
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have got this case from eBay shipped from Hong Kong in 7 days it reached Bangalore by normal post. 

I have sea-gull hand wind movement which I am going to assemble with this case along with hands but without dial.

I don’t have case opener for this 12 edge case back forgot to check while ordering. Case opener for Breitling can be used.

But It is very expensive it seems.

Is there any suggestion where do I get a low price one? Or any other tool can be used.

Pictures are taken from eBay item description and used as it is.

post-911-0-62726000-1450118551.jpg

post-911-0-22805200-1450118559.jpg

Edited by Sendilkumar

You can get ebay cheap openers for that case. I did and they work :) They are made for ETA 6498/97 and its clones from different places. There is a ring you will need after the movement is in place and before the back is on secure the movement inside. Those rings are also ebay purchase but I found them to be very expensive.

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

That's a copy of a Panerai case, so search for Panerai opener on eBay. There's chinese copies available for $20 each or $70 for a set with 4 sizes.

Also, the cheaper ball style caseback opener usually works for those.

post-158-0-49941700-1450182790_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just too this Chinese 6498 movement to start my assembling with the case. Hour wheel I got from a hong kong eBay seller. looks there is some issue. with Cannon pinion both are in same level.  Or they are fine?  

post-911-0-53712100-1454261659_thumb.jpg

post-911-0-41110600-1454261691_thumb.jpg

post-911-0-99514100-1454261697.jpg

Edited by Sendilkumar

• 1 month later...