Hobby Watch Maker

I am very much interested in mechanical watches. I have many seiko automatic watches. Recent past I started exploring the possibilities to start watch repairs as hobby. Got few HMT manual winding watches. Ready to get training on assembling and disassembling movements.

Welcome to the forum Sandikumar, there are lots of folk on here like yourself as well as professionals. One thing is certain, if you need help there is always someone will to give advice.

• Like 1

Welcome Sendikumar. HMT make decent movements, and the great thing about them is that, if parts or spare movements are needed, there are many, many available on places like eBay for very low prices.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Sendilkumar, I'm sure you'll find all the information and help you need here to become a master hobbyist in horology! HMT are good watches to start with and as Will said, plenty of parts!

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

There are two problems.

1.Dial feet broken

2.Winding stem got rust.

I have got replacement stem from known watch maker.

Dial feet still needs to be fixed.

Whil disassembling from case I pressed the same to remove stem but to insert new stem I am finding it difficult. Stem is not completly going inside.

Regarding the stem, did the whole stem come out? If it was rusty, there is a chance that the tip has broken off and is still in the movement.

To remove the broken dial feet, I think you will have to strip the movement to allow you access with a small punch to push them out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here in Bangalore, India dealing with professional watch makers are not that easy. They don’t like first of all others learning watch repair. Also most of them are not educated, so understanding of someone’s desire to be a hobby watch maker will be difficult for them.

I have been abused by some of them while trying to buy tools and parts. Asked lot of questions and discouraging me as if I am digging some graveyard.

Finally I found a good man, but expecting lot of money. Only for few parts he charged me almost half a price of good fast-track(Indian brand) watch. 

I "think" Caravelle 11dp/Citizen 0241 parts would be an exact replacement for the HMT parts, but I've never gotten around to buying an HMT and trying them. They're pretty inexpensive on eBay and might be a good alternative to getting gouged for the original HMT parts.

Here's a pile of parts from two movements I cleaned a while back.

11dp-parts.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally i assembled them .

But dial feet  i am unable fix since i don't know. I used  cum.

One of my friend said ..since i used bare hand it my lead to rust accumulation ..

so before fix hands i used a muslin to clean.

post-911-0-86943700-1437205707_thumb.jpg

post-911-0-29349400-1437205743_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sendilkumar
  • Like 2