Click Spring

MAG

So I am new at this, but I was doing great.  I am working on a vintage pocket watch and I was even able to clean and oil the end stones on the non-shock protected balance.  While reassembling, and being very careful, the click spring disappeared.  I was holding it down with peg wood and everything when... ping!  It shot off to unknown territory.  Now I am stuck.  In this movement the click spring is a very simple u-shaped spring, but I don't know where to get one or how to make one. Does anyone know where I can get a very small diameter piece of spring steel to fashion a replacement part? Or is there some other trick I don't know about.  And yes, I have spent a lot of time on my hands and knees searching the floor to no avail.

Keep searching, they usually appear, eventually. A powerful torch, held at a low angle, helps you see small items.

Then try a powerful magnet over the whole area, and beyond where you think it may have gone.

My final trick is, clean out the dust collector on my Dyson, then clean everywhere, everything. Empty the dust on to some white paper, and try the magnet.

If all else fails, click springs don't have to be perfect to work. Buy a cheap selection, and you can usually find one to do the job. In the UK, try https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/springs

6 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Then try a powerful magnet over the whole area, and beyond where you think it may have gone.

It's amazing what you can find was a powerful magnet

then it would help if you give us a picture so we can see what Kind of watch were talking about?

Well, I fashioned a replacement click spring from a ball point pen spring but then got the hardware store to buy a big magnet.  Lo and behold, the magnet found the spring!!  I am back in business with original parts.  Thanks for the advice.

• Like 2